Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Thin Man Remake??

Johnny Depp in The Thin Man? What do you think? I read about this a few days ago and tonight I noticed a link to further developments over at the Rap Sheet. Nick at Squeezegut Alley gives us a bit more news.

While I love the original, classic Thin Man movies starring William Powell and Myrna Loy, the idea of a new take on the characters doesn't chill my blood. There's very little Depp can't do in my book. If anyone can do it, it would be Captain Jack Sparrow.

My main concern is who would play Nora. Myrna Loy was an original. She radiated beauty, intelligence and common sense. It's hard to know who among today's young look-alike actresses could fill that bill. Any ideas? My first thought is Rachel Weisz.

2 comments:

  1. I can't even think about it. I have owned the box set of the entire series for years d I watch them a few times a year. I can't imagine two actors that have the chemistry between them in order to pull this off. That and I keep picturing the disaster that the most remake of "The Women" was. I'm still having nightmares over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm not as gloomy about it as you, Ryan. I can actually see Johnny Depp in the part. But you're perfectly right, there has to be CHEMISTRY - yeah, chemistry, between the two leads. Of course if they try to update it to today, then DISASTER. But if they keep it set in its time, then it might work. I remain sanguine. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.