Saturday, October 9, 2010

Michael Innes Re-Discovered

Imagine my surprise: I was searching for one book within piles of paperbacks in my special paperback bookcase - purchased years ago on a whim because it's shelf depth was and continues to be, perfect for the placement of double stacks of paperbacks - anyway, while looking for one thing I found another: three Michael Innes mysteries. Books which, somehow, I've never read. But the thing is: I don't remember ever seeing them before either. (I was under the impression that I'd read all the paperbacks on these particular shelves.) Okay, I'm assuming at some point in the past I picked them up somewhere and then, for whatever reason, simply forgot about them. Either that or the book fairy deposited them on my shelves as a little surprise for me.

The books are:
  • The Secret Vanguard
  • Death On A Quiet Day
  • Seven Suspects

Have any of you ever read Michael Innes? I know his name, he created the Inspector John Appleby series, but that's about it.

Well, something new and intriguing to investigate.

10 comments:

  1. Serendipity strikes again! I read about Michael Innes on Cornflower's blog yesterday & was inspired to pick up Hamlet, Revenge!, one of the 2 Innes's on the tbr shelves. The other one is The Long Farewell. I read several in the series many years ago but don't remember much about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, Lyn. I just went to the Cornflower blog and read about Innes. Serendipity strikes again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just discovered your blog and enjoyed it very much. And you have a beautiful granddaughter! I've never read any Michael Innes but he sounds like someone I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Micheal Innes is a writer I enjoy a lot. His Hamlet, Revenge! and Appleby's End are wonderful books. The latter is one of the most hilarious books I've ever read. Do read him, you will not be disappointed. Glad to have discovered your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pam, thanks for dropping by! We'll be discovering Michael Innes together - I've never read him either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Neer, thanks for posting. And thanks for the Michael Innes encouragement. Reader by reader, my little blog is growing. Makes me want to work all the harder to make it special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to read his books very much....I shall look out for them, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, thanks for dropping in, Vicki. I've just posted my review of my first Michael Innes book. I liked it very much, indeed. Hope you'll like the books as well.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been too long since I read "The Secret Vanguard" - time for a rereading, I think. I love Innes. I think "Lament for a Maker" is one of his finest books - another one set in the Scottish Highlands, with an eccentric laird, a crumbling castle, impossible crimes, and more plot twists than you'd think possible. It's told "Moonstone" - style by a series of narrators, each of whom peels off another layer from the mystery until the breathtaking finale. I can't recommend it highly enough!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I am definitely going to be reading more Innes, Les. Thanks for the recommendation. How I overlooked him 'first time around' is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.