Saturday, October 9, 2010

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, but really, we need to be aware every month of the year. Pay attention to your body, make sure self examination is part of your regular routine. You should also get a Clinical Breast Exam as part of your regular medical check-up. If you're a woman 40 years of age or older, don't forget to schedule a mammogram as well. Talk with your health care provider for all details.

I am a breast cancer survivor and it was through my own self-examination that I found the lump that changed my life. Luckily I seem to have found it early enough to have it completely taken care of. After surgery and a year of chemo, I'm still here. If you catch breast cancer early enough, it need not be the end of the world. So be aware. Give fear a well-deserved kick in the ass.

The Susan G. Komen Foundation and The American Cancer Society have excellent websites full of information.

2 comments:

Your comment will appear after I take a look.