Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween for kids?

Here is a terrific opinion piece from the NY Times by author R.L. Stine - Scariest Sight on Halloween? Grown-ups. He talks about how Halloween now seems geared more towards adults than children. I agree with him. I don't know about you, but I get unsettled when adults dressed like mass murderers show up on my doorstep asking for candy. I don't like all the emphasis on blood and gore and horror movie villains, either. I liked the holiday so much better when kids were still the center of attention.

Though every year I complain about the constant doorbell ringing and Rocky having an apoplexy every time someone shows up, the truth is I still like seeing the little kids dressed in their costumes. It's the adults with axes sticking out of their heads that give me pause.
Pretty soon they'll be elbowing the kids aside and going out trick-or-treating on their own. Not sure they're not doing that already. What's up with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear after I take a look.