Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Dog About Town

This is an older interview with author J.F. Englert, you might enjoy reading. I admit his is a new name to me. I'd never heard of him or his books until Peter Rozovsky of Detectives Beyond Borders recommended the books to me in the comments section of my post yesterday making mention of World Animal Day.

I checked out Englert at my library's website: no dice. Then checked him out over at Barnes and Noble and found out the titles are available as mass-market paperbacks or as E-books. Well, anyway, I'm going to overlook my initial dismay and probably read them on my computer. B&N will send them directly there. (No shipping fee. Though why the book price remains the same either way, is a mystery to me.) Welcome to the 21st century, Yvette.

Aside from the computer thing, the books look like they'll be lots of fun. I read the sample on the B&N page and sure enough, they don't just LOOK like fun (from the covers) they will be fun to read when I have a moment or two or three. At least they won't physically add to my dangerously tottering To Be Read pile - a saving grace. Not sure how I feel about electronic books (well, in truth my initial response was GAK!), but this time out, I'll go along with it. Although, I still say and will keep on saying, unless you can hold an 'actual' book with its printed pages attached, in your 'actual' hands, the book is not real. Maybe mass market paperback is the only way to go. I am feeling anything but resolute. Decisions, decisions!

Yes, yes, I know e-book readers are the wave of the future. That doesn't mean I have to like it or them in the here-and-now. As I tell my friends, "I'm glad I'll be dead by then..." whenever the spectre of new technology makes us all wince. HA!

It is entirely possible I've discovered a new reason to thank my 'lucky' stars for being an old crone.

2 comments:

  1. The subject of dogs and books came up at Bouchercon, and I was able to give Englert and Randolph another big-up. They deserve it.
    ======================================
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter, thanks for dropping by. Well, I'm really looking forward to reading these, but I'm waiting a bit. Lately feeling overwhelmed with what still remains of my TBR pile from the library. I haven't even had a chance to read TO FETCH A THIEF by Spencer Quinn - delaying gratification, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.