Saturday, June 18, 2011

Even More Mail Loot!


Well, what can I say? It's been a week filled with an embarrassment of riches. Book-wise.

Guess what arrived in the mail?  Go ahead, take a guess. All together now: A book!!

This time out it is a prezzie from my good blogging friend, John Norris of PRETTY SINISTER BOOKS (don't you love that title?). Out of the blue, a couple of weeks ago he decided I needed to have the first book in the Gervase Fen series written by Edmund Crisp.

You may remember that I was delightfully bowled over by the only Fen book I'd ever read: THE MOVING TOYSHOP (now officially one of my all time favorite books) and reviewed it happily while wishing my neighborhood library had Crispin on its shelves which it doesn't. Well, in stepped John and very nicely too - he said he had an extra copy of THE CASE OF THE GILDED FLY and would I like it?

Is the Pope Catholic?

And now I have a second Crispin book to add to my own personal library. (THE MOVING TOYSHOP being an old Penguin copy I found one day on my shelves. Put there I suppose, by book elves.

The copy John sent me is a very good paperback edition carefully wrapped in plastic and so pristine it may take me awhile to get up the nerve to peel it back and read the book. (Though my copy, I might add, is in much better condition than the one shown above.)

It gets even better.

The book, wrapped in plastic to keep it nice and fresh was also wrapped in the funniest wrapping paper with little monsters all over it AND John's official business sticker: Pretty Sinister Books Read This ...or else!

Don't you love it? I laughed out loud when I unpacked it.

THANK YOU, John! You are a veritable peach!

12 comments:

  1. Don't mention it. Yvette. We aim to please over here. :^D I found that crazy birthday wrapping paper in an old shopping bag filled with packing materials that I dig through when packing up books. I knew it had to be the wrapping paper for you! The sticker is standard for anyone who ever buys a book from me.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read anything by Edmund Crispin but have one of his books on my tbr pile - The Glimpses of the Moon. I gather his books are excellent so I must get to it.

    What an interesting blog John has... I added it to my following list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always a thrill to get a book in the mail! Enjoy it, Yvette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. John: But here's the thing, the wrapping paper was just so unexpected. I really did laugh out loud. :)

    Thanks again!

    Yvette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cath: All I know of Crispin is THE MOVING TOYSHOP and I was smitten by that. :)

    I think he and I just share the same sense of literary humor and the fun of the absurd.

    Yes, John has a terrific website full of all sorts of curious things. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pat: For sure, and this week was an especially beneficial one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snap I'm reading this book at the moment, having, like you read The Moving Toy Shop and wanted to read more Edmund Crispin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome gift! John is the best! He sent me a present as well...I plan on making a really big deal over it and HIM once I get it read and reviewed.

    And, you are pretty awesome as well, Yvette! I can't wait to fit in The 39 Cufflinks. I'll be singing your praises then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous: Mine is in just perfect condition, I'm almost afraid to read it.

    Almost. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bev: Yeah, John is too cool for school. (Have no clue what that means, but it sounds good.) Ha!

    John is a sweetie-pie. Or at least, that's how I think of him.

    Once I read the book there will, of course be a review. I just have to get over my fear of mussing the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you'll enjoy "Case of the Gilded Fly," Yvette. As you know, Crispin is one of my favorites. I won't spoil it for you - but the book is quite directly influenced by John Dickson Carr, as Fen will make quite clear. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Les: Thanks, I know I will. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.