Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wednesday Quote of the Day: A Celebration of Mothers

Since Mother's Day is fast approaching, I thought a few mother-worthy quotes would be apropos today. Along with some gorgeous mother-related works of art. This will be my daughter's first Mother's Day spent as a mother herself, so it will be an extra special occasion. Mothers Rule!

The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. Rajneesh

The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness. Honore de Balzac

A mother is one to whom you hurry when you are troubled. Emily Dickinson

Any mother could perform the jobs of several air traffic controllers with ease. Lisa Alther

God could not be everywhere, so He created mothers. A Jewish proverb.

Every beetle is a gazelle in the eyes of its mother. A Moorish proverb.

An ounce of mother is worth a pound of clergy. A Spanish proverb.


Of the three impressionist paintings shown above, the first two are by Mary Cassatt and the third is by Edmund Tarbell.

The photo of a mother cheetah and her offspring is by Chris Johns, from National Geographic. Read more about Johns and his amazing work here.

12 comments:

  1. Awww I am looking forward to my first mothers day!! I like the Mama Cheetah with the baby Cheetah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to it as well, Skye. I'll be seeing it through your brand new mother's eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Yvette! I think we all remember our first Mother's Day so fondly, and getting a kiss from a grandchild is icing on the cake of life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat: You said it! It's going to be such a special day. I hope the weather cooperates. But even if it doesn't, it can't dampen our spirits. :) The only thing that would make it better would be if my own mom were still alive. But I know she's watching over us somewhere, somehow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely paintings by Mary Cassatt. And that photo of the cheetahs is wonderful.

    Hope you and your family have a great Mother's Day (and Grandmothers' Day, because without grandmothers, where would mothers be?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy: Being a grandma is a great reward in life. I hope you and your family have a great Mother's Day as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother is in assisted living, so I'll send flowers.

    My sister, who sings classical music, is doing a benefit recital for the National Brain Tumor Society.

    I'll be reading some mysteries of choice and enjoying the nice weather, hopefully outside in a park.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy: My mom passed away a few years ago. I still miss her. But this Mother's Day is all about my daughter and her little girl. We're going to have such a good time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You all will have a great time, and start making memories for the little one.

    I just discovered that I'll be spending some of Sunday with Nero Wolfe and the gang, and with Hercule Poirot and Joe Pike. Murder by the Book, The Sentry, and The Mystery of the Blue Train dvd are at my library branch. (This is on top of several other library books out plus Ariana Franklin's first book in her series.) So I"ll be quite busy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy: You WILL be busy - having fun! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Correction: It is The Doorbell Rang, not Murder by the Book that I had at the library, and have begun reading.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kathy: THE DOORBELL RANG is one of Rex Stout's more famous Wolfe books. It's one of the reasons, I understand that the real FBI kept an eye on Stout. Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.