Monday, July 11, 2011

Monday Review: DEATH AT LA FENICE (1992) by Donna Leon



This is not my first Donna Leon book featuring Commissario Guido Brunetti of the Polizia Venezia, nor will it be the last. My first was ACQUA ALTA given to me by a friend a while back. Since then I've been promising myself a summer of the Italian book and a trip to Venice - figuratively speaking, of course. Well, I've now finished the first book in the series and all I can say is: WHAT TOOK ME SO LONG??

DEATH AT LA FENICE has the sort of beginning I love best in a mystery. There is no long-winded set-up (like the kind you usually find here), the mystery begins immediately and it features death inside a real place - La Fenice, Venice's 'jewel box' of an Opera House. So, we're on the scene and ready to go within a few paragraphs.

Helmut Wellauer is a world famous conductor who, as the book opens, is already dead and done for. Found in his dressing room after the second act of Verdi's La Traviata - the smell of bitter almonds pungent in the air. A shocking, sensational scandal that calls for the subliminal guiding hand and wily genius of Guido Brunetti, Commissario of Police.

Married for many years to his beloved Paola, a professor at university, Brunetti, the bemused father of two, is well established with a convincing back-story revealed in brief glimpses of family life as the book moves along. Of course it's the locale, Venice, one of the most beautiful cities in the world, which is the real star of the show, but the other main characters hold their own in Donna Leon's more than capable hands.

Almost at once, Brunetti realizes that the key to the Wellauer affair lies in the personality of the enigmatic genius who was Helmut Wellauer, world renowned conductor of opera. This sort of crime takes time to unravel. But Brunetti's inane boss wants quick action. They want someone, anyone, incarcerated - immediately if not sooner. The government, the newspapers, the city itself, Venice demands it!

But Brunett goes his own way. He is convinced that exploring the dead man's past is the key to the present mystery. With the skill of a tactician Brunetti manages his boss (all the while holding him in contempt), manages the case and eventually arrives at an outcome both sad,  shocking and deserving of his greatest tactical wisdom.

I love a story where things about a famous victim are discovered in drips and drabs as suspects are interviewed, clues and suggestions dropped and surprises sprung. If done well, this is one of the most effective means of developing a good mystery. Agatha Christie always said (occasionally through the mouth of her ace detective, Hercule Poirot) that the solution to a murder usually lies in the personality of the victim. I say: it makes for very effective story-telling.

There aren't many names in the suspect pool since it almost immediately becomes clear to Brunetti that very few had real access to the conductor's backstage dressing room: the much younger wife, in the audience that evening, the star soprano and her close friend who are very obviously holding something back, the gay director who'd not been on good terms with Wellauer since the German conductor was a known homophobe and rumored to have had Nazi leanings during the war and, of course, assorted cast members and stagehands. But who among them had a strong enough motive for wishing the conductor dead? Brunetti deduces that ugly, long-buried secrets are at the root of it all.

The Commissario even goes so far as to get himself invited to the palazzo home of his in-laws, the wealthy Count and Countess Falier - people whom he prefers to avoid when possible. (He knows it's a kind of failing in him, but try as he might he can't ever seem to enjoy being in the company of the Count and Countess, though his children (to his amazement) and his wife, of course, feel very differently.) If anyone knows any juicy details about the world-renown conductor, it is the sorts of people who often show up at the palazzo of the Count and Countess Falier.

The musings on the Count and Countess are some of the more humorous aspects of the book. The funny this is: they do not make Brunetti especially likable, but because of this particular foible, they make him more human.

Brunetti is a lone hand, a pragmatic man who sees himself as a bulwark against the forces of evil. In my mind, it is this pragmatism that keeps him from being the idealist which would have been his preferred, natural choice. But I may be wrong. I've only read two of the books so far.

Eventually, with the unwilling help of a wretched and destitute soprano now living under the most appalling conditions, the Commissarrio learns of the depravity which held sway over Wellauer's life. A terrible secret which leads to a truly horrible past-due retribution for a man of music and eventually to his death in that dressing room in the middle of a Verdi opera.

DEATH AT LA FENICE is a terrific beginning to what I hope will continue to be one of my favorite series. Two books in, two great reading experiences.

13 comments:

  1. Hello Yvette:
    As we are often to be found in Venice, Donna Leon is almost compulsory summer reading. She is, we agree, a good story teller, the books do rattle on at a satisfactory pace and Brunetti is a sympathetic 'hero'. All in all very worthwhile if rather light reading.

    If you ever do venture to Venice, it is possible to take a Donna Leon tour, taking in all the famous Brunetti sites and sights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot think of how in the world I can keep up with all of your good reads. You make me want to read every single one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane and Lance: If I should ever find myself in Venice, I will be sure and do the Donna Leon tour. :)

    If only....!

    In the meantime, the books are a very excellent second best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Book Belle: Thanks! I did enjoy this book very much. As I said, it's the next best thing to being in Venice. When you're in the mood, BB, feel free to hail the next gondola!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great review! It makes me nostalgic for Venice, the virtual Venice that Donna Leon through the Brunettis, has brought to me.

    There is so much to enjoy -- the plot, characters, the city and its history, Guido's observations, the virtual meals, and the dialogue between Guido and Paola. As you probably know, there are three people in that marriage -- the Brunettis and Henry James.

    But now upon reading this, I want to reread the entire series. (That would be hard as my TBR list and mountain are huge.)

    I have two friends with whom I share Leon's books. They have been to Venice and followed Guido's trail.

    There is a delightful video up which is of Leon giving a lecture.

    I am so glad that you have started this series and like it so much.

    We'll all be soon living on Italian food, drinking grappa and espresso, listening to opera, and learning Italian while we plan our virtual vacations to Venice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds such a special read. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, Death at La Fenice and Acqua Alta contain one of my favorite fictional character's names: Flavia Petrelli.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy: Thanks! I was a little disappointed that there wasn't more about food in this first book, but I know there will be more as the books go on. :)

    I enjoyed meeting the kids. And I did enjoy meeting the Count and Countess. Paola is one lucky woman.

    This was really a very excellent debut book.

    We'll have a virtual Italian block festival. HA!

    Grappa. Haven't tried that yet.

    My next indulgence is: Proseco.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mystica: Glad you enjoyed it. You're very welcome. :)

    These are special books, especially fun to read in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Speaking of book series, I'm now reading The House Sitter, and of course can't drag myself away to do tasks and assorted things.

    So now it's three series I'm dealing with, in addition to my TBR lists and piles: Rex Stout's, Ariana Franklin's and Peter Lovesey's -- although I think I'll just have Lovesey's in mind as I'm over my head already trying to tread water on reading lists and books.

    Am so glad you're now hooked on Donna Leon's Venice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kathy: THE HOUSE SITTER was one of my best books of the year a couple of years ago. I just loved it. But I was disappointed in this year's Lovesey book. Sometimes he can be hit or miss as an author. But on the whole he has more hits than misses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Any other good Lovesey books? I see Skeleton Hill listed which looks interesting.

    I also see that two more of his feature Hen.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.