Saturday, October 15, 2011

Saturday Salon: A Favorite Painting or Two...or Three...!




















Emma Dunbar is an English artist, born in 1961, whose bright and cheerful paintings have been exhibited internationally and reproduced on greeting cards, posters and limited editions.

I discovered her work by serendipity and now I'm passing it on in the same spirit. There's just something about Emma Dunbar's paintings that I find endearing. If I happen to be in a grim mood they cheer me up. Her palette is vivacious, her style enthusiastic. Her work glows with charm.

To read more about Ms. Dunbar and her work, please check her website.

10 comments:

  1. Emma Dunbar is new to me, such happy, colourful paintings. Her work reminds me slightly of the eminent Mary Fedden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosemary: I belive Mary Fedden is one of Emma's influences.

    I love this sort of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great paintings, Yvette! Thanks for including Emma's website. I like that these are so pure in color, at once charming and sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. This is a living artist whose work I'd really love to own.

    You're welcome, Mark. Her website has even more of her work.

    Pure color. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the use of color in these.....it's like a big box of crayons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so much fun, such colors, so cheerful.

    I love the top one, then the one with yellow flowers, and the bottom one with boats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, exactly Ryan. You've got it. '...a big box of crayons.' Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy: Yes, the top one is the one that first caught my eye. Love this work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first word that came to my mind as I looked at her work was cheery. I really like them. Thanks for showing me the work of an artist I've not heard of.

    And, Yvette, I wanted to tell you about a movie I just saw which features an artist. It is called Dad's In Heaven With Nixon. More here:

    http://inheavenmovie.com/

    I found it very moving and heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tip on this movie, Nan. (I'd not heard of it before.) I'll go take a looksee. The title alone is intriguing. :)

    One thing for sure, with Emma Dunba's paintings around it's hard NOT to be cheery. I think she's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.