Friday, October 28, 2011

In Case You Didn't Know...!


I am the bearer of happy tidings. For those of us who have longed for the earlier versions of David Suchet's Hercule Poirot (with Hastings), done with care and affection and general faithfulness to Agatha Christie's actual stories, here's good news:

The first year of the Poirot series is now available on Netflix Streaming. I discovered this by accident, so if everyone else in the world already knows this, then simply tsk, tsk, and move along.

I didn't know it. Imagine my surprise. Imagine my joy. I've already watched the first story: THE ADVENTURE OF THE CLAPHAM COOK in which we get Poirot's opinion of fresh country air. Too funny. "Poirot prefers the good air of the town!"

Also in the list, TRIANGLE AT RHODES which went on to become EVIL UNDER THE SUN. You're best off ignoring the second story, THE DREAM. It is pretty dreadful.  But the rest are excellent.

I'm hoping against hope that the second year of episodes will soon be available, and so on and so forth. I simply refuse to watch the newest versions. No fault of Suchet's but of the writers who have butchered Christie's plots.

And don't get me started on what they've done to Miss Marple.

David Suchet, the one and only Hercule Poirot.

10 comments:

  1. I have the boxset of this up to "The Hollow" and "After The Funeral" eras. I totally agree that it wasn't the same once they got rid of Hastings and Japp. The later in the run the worse it gets. I have long since lost interest. Ditto the new Miss Marple.
    The trio of Poirot Hastings and Japp in the early series is such a joy. I particularly recommend "The Third Floor Flat" and "Double Sin" for pure comedic chemistry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've seen all the Poirot episodes a few times, but good to know...I've also enjoyed the more recent installments of Suchet's Poirot via PBS over the last year or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy: We are in total agreement. I was appalled at how they felt free to twist the stories around.

    Not for me, thanks.

    THIRD FLOOR FLAT is part of this first season.

    But for me, the first episode is just perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lady Eve: It's great to be able to go back to the beginning, though. I love that Netflix has done this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too, Jacqueline. We all know he was born to play the part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the notification about the Poirots on Instant. I've put them in the queue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome, Nan. I'm glad you spotted it. I was thrilled when I discovered it. Have been watching faithfully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just watched Clapham Cook, and it was wonderful!! And Poirot in the country was just hilarious. That's what artists are for - so people can look at this scenery without furry creatures. I especially noticed the chair Hastings was sitting in at Poirot's place. I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE that one, Nan. How can you not love Poirot in this? He is wonderful. Those comments about the country are priceless. I laugh every time. I'm going to watch it again to spot the chair.

    I also like the one about the dead artist. Blackbirds in a Pie or something like that. Poirot is having dinner with his dentist. I so wish I would join them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.