Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Background: 'The Gossips' by Norman Rockwell

While searching for something else, I found this wonderful post on Rompedas, an art blog I'd never heard of before. (Isn't that always the way?) So I bookmarked the blog. But I was so taken (and intrigued) by one of the posts that I decided to share it with you with due credit given. Please use the link to read in detail about this wonderful piece of work by one of our greatest illustrators.


The Gossips cover was the most popular Rockwell Post cover in thirty-three years and sold the most magazines in five years. Rockwell had the idea for it twenty years earlier but he couldn’t quite get the ending until he thought to have the subject of the gossips (posed for by Rockwell) hear the story about himself at the end of the circle. Thousands of letters were sent to the Post asking what the gossip was they were passing along. An answer was never given. In an interview in December of 1948, Rockwell remembered that the woman who posed for the first lady in the picture, the one who had started the gossip, was still a little peeved at him. Not all of his subjects were critical. One model told a reporter, “It’s more fun posing for him than going to the movies. Norman keeps you in stitches with his funny stories.”
(NORMAN ROCKWELL MUSEUM at nrm.org) 

The original sketch by Rockwell for the cover.

The photo lay-out with models in position.

The final painting.





Norman Rockwell himself.
Again, Norman Rockwell.
Some of the reference photos used by Rockwell.

What a delight to be able see behind-the-scenes of one of Norman Rockwell's most famous and most beloved works of art. It was lucky for Rockwell that he apparently had an endless supply of colorful friends and neighbors to pose for his many commissions. Isn't it interesting how so many of these accommodating people had that 'typical American mid-western' look to them? It's almost as if they came straight from 'Central Casting'. This is how the early part of the 20th century looks to us in memory. I wonder if a lot of that is due to the heavy influence of Rockwell's art.


See more and read more about Rockwell and his contemporaries, at this link to the

22 comments:

  1. Hello Yvette:
    This is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL. What a marvellous piece of art work, what a tremendous idea, and all brought to us in this beautifully presented post of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yvette, I think "The Gossips" is one of Norman Rockwell's funniest pictures, especially the payoff at the end! I really enjoyed see your evolution of this classic piece. Funny AND makes us think - what a combo! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane and Lance, thank you. I had to share once I saw what Rockwell went through to get his amazing work done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dorian, isn't this the a wonderful painting? I love it. Fun to know what goes on behind the scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Yvette - I heartily recommend that your readers look for Norman Rockwell's autobiography, which is a most entertaining book. By all accounts Rockwell was a great neighbor, loved by the community from which he drew so many models. I read an account by one of them that he would always volunteer to be the ticket-taker at town musical and drama productions, and she later realized that he was of course scouting for new faces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating, Yvette. I didn't know about The Gossips and I absolutely enjoyed it. Thanks for the link to the Norman Rockwell museum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Yvette - thank you very much for your recent comment.
    This is a wonderful insight into Rockwell and how much time and effort he put into his work. You can see from his paintings that he obviously relished his work.
    I wondered why I have not been seeing updates in my google reader on your posts, and have just looked at your followers and see that my avatar is no longer there. Blogger does do some very strange things at times. I have now added it back again, as I always enjoyed my visits here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just tried to join but Google says I am already a member, so I do not know what has happened. You are not in my reader anymore.
    I will put you on my sidebar instead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Yvette,
    I was just passing by and dropped into your blog.
    I thought this post was marvelous.
    I remember seeing this picture in one of the old Readers' Digest magazines that my grandmother used to get when I was a child. I liked the drawing then and consider it the one that introduced me to the art of Mr. Rockwell. I particularly enjoyed seeing the behind the scenes photograph.
    Bye for now
    Kirk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen this many times, but I'm not sure I ever realized the "payoff" at the end. Spectacular!

    Rockwell was so very popular because he had a way of capturing the emotions of everyday situations.

    Thanks for sharing this history, Yvette!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Third row down, third one from left: Dead ringer for Ernestine as portrayed by Lily Tomlin!

    This was very cool. I've always wondered how Rockwell got such detail in his portraits. I should have known he used models or photos. Loved this "Inside the Artist's Studio" feature.

    ReplyDelete
  12. John (and Yvette) if you mean the woman (third row, listening, second from right, then speaking, third from right), if I'm not mistaken, that was Rockwell's wife who posed for that. I have a copy of The Gossips - a small poster - on a staircase wall in my house; it has long bee one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll take your advice and add the bio to my library, Mark. Rockwell was so unalike many of his contemporaries. For instance the mysterious and reclusive J.C. Leyenedecker and even N.C. Wyeth.

    ReplyDelete
  14. P.S. Mark, I know Wyeth died while Rockwell was still a young man, but you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're very welcome, Prashant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rosemary I'm so sorry you're having problems with the google thing - there always seems to be something not quite right with it. Oh well, we can't expect perfection I suppose. :)

    Rockwell was probably that rarity among artists: a happy man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kirk, thanks for dropping by and thanks for the kind words. I hope you'll drop in now and again if you're in the neighborhood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're welcome, Debbie. I'm glad you enjoyed this excursion into the work most artists deal with before the paint actually hits the canvas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. John, as I can find the info, I'm going to be doing some more 'behind the scenes' posts now and then. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mine too, Les, though I don't have a poster or copy. Many artists prefer to work from life (J.C. Leyendecker was one) but it seems to be that photos worked very well for Rockwell who did a lot of 'group' type paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Norman Rockwell certainly influenced the visual ideal of the American experience with his magazine covers!

    I've enjoyed visiting the Norman Rockwell Museum which, as the link to its website shows, is located in Stockbridge, Massachusetts--not Vermont.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mary you are SO right. What was I thinking???? Thanks for the correction.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.