Saturday, January 19, 2013

12 Seascapes I'd Love to Own

American painter Winslow Homer (1836 - 1910) 'Breezing Up'

British painter Joseph Mallord William Turner (1775 - 1851) 'Snowstorm' 1842

American painter Frederick Judd Waugh (1861 - 1940) 'At the Base of the Cliff' 1908

American painter/illustrator N.C. Wyeth (1882 - 1945) for 'The White Company' by Arthur Conan Doyle pub. 1922

Italian painter Pietro Fragiacomo (1856 - 1922) 'Nocturne'

American painter Albert Bierstadt (1830 - 1902) 'Puget Sound' Detail

American painter Don Demers (1956 - ) 

American painter/illustrator Howard Pyle (1853 - 1911) 'An Attack on a Galleon' 1905

German/American painter/illustrator Anton Otto Fisher (1882 - 1962) 

British painter Geoff Hunt (1948 - )

British/American painter Edward Moran (1829 - 1901) 'Sailing by Moonlight NY Harbor'

British painter Joseph Mallord William Turner 'The Fighting Temeraire Being Tugged to her Last Berth to be Broken Up'


We've featured landscapes, still lifes, portraits (male, female and children) and today we're going down to the sea mostly in ships.

16 comments:

  1. Hello Yvette:
    We should be content to have any one of these, but if choice is restricted, then may we just take the Turners??

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we can't live near the sea, and aren't we learning that that's not the safest place to live, let's have seascapes instead! They're all wonderful paintings. I think I might like to have a few of Prendergast's, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That one by Don Demers looks real. I'm always amazed when a painting looks so realistic because someone's hand had to have created it. I can't even sign my name neatly! Nice choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Yvette - The illustrator in me is attracted to the Howard Pyle painting, with its great composition, but my pick from this selection would have to be Fragiacomo's "Nocturne." It is so meditative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, we might have to share and share alike, Jane and Lance. :)

    One for you and one for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I left out so many artists, trying to restrict it to 12. You know these lists are so fluid...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Don Demers is especially appealing to me because of the incredible way he captures the green depth of the wave. Hoe on earth did he get that color?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the N.C. Wyeth too - such a happy looking thing. And the color of the water makes me instantly calm. :)

    That Howard Pyle is absolutely gorgeous. I wish I could have found a larger version to highlight.

    I have a board on Pinterest called Adventure and Derring-Do on which I pin lots of N.C. Wyeth and Howard Pyle and Mead Schaeffer and a couple of others famous for their great work during the Golden Age of Illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yvette, no exaggeration, but these paintings have left me speechless. I regret not turning to art instead of journalism as I did, considering that both run in the family. Thanks for sharing these beautiful paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Snowstorm" and "Nocturne" have stolen my heart. Breathtakingly gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing, as I'd never seen either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are quite lovely. I grew up looking at a seascape painting of a large boat with masts tossing about in a stormy sea. My father loved these paintings.

    I like Emil Nolde's water colors of the sea; many are out of this world beautiful, using colors so creatively. (I have mixed feelings about him as a person, but his seascapes are amazing.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some of those are just gorgeous, especially "Snowstorm"

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're welcome, Prashant. I'm glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're welcome, Picky. They are wonderful. But then, I'm fond of all of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kathy, there are many more artists I could have included - no doubt. So many gorgeous paintings of the sea. The list could have gone on and on....

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.