Sunday, December 18, 2011

Holiday Reading


Two very enjoyable books - recently read by yours truly. You might want to take a quiet break and slip them in between last-minute shopping, decorating, packing and otherwise being overwhelmed by the frenzy of the Christmas holidays.




I bought this last year and held it unread until this past week. I'd never read any of the very British Rumpole books before this one, but I am now convinced that I'll be reading more Rumpole in the new year. This is a perfect place to start. The irascible Rumpole and his wife, She Who Must Be Obeyed, spend the holidays in various ways in these dryly funny short stories.



A hilarious take on one man's neurotic fear of Christmas. I found myself laughing out loud - often. Again, I'd never read any of Garrison Keillor's work before, never even listened to his Lake Woebegon radio programs. But, now I know what I've been missing. The man is a maniac - but in a good way.

These would make nice stocking stuffers too. They're not very big or thick. Just quick fun reads.

******************

Addendum:

Just as we're talking about someone...say, Rumpole - up pops another Rumpole post on another website today.

A new collection of John Mortimer's Best Rumpole stories which, I, for one will be getting my hands on in the New Year. Here it is and a handy link to a review by Betty of Betz Reviews - contributed to Mysterious Reviews.


And who says the universe works in mysterious ways?

16 comments:

  1. I almost clicked through to Amazon to check the price, but then I remembered the four books I bought yesterday... Another Christmas, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorte: Worth a trip to the library, I think. :)

    Though I bought my Rumpole book used. Very cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yvette, I agree with you completely about "A Rumpole Christmas" - in fact, it's the topic of tomorrow's review on my blog and podcast. It's a good way to start with Rumpole. He's a wonderful character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I continue to say, Les, that great minds think alike. :)

    There will definitely be more Rumpole for me next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never read John Mortimer. He has written an awful lot of books, hasn't he? Horace Rumpole, what little I know about him, sounds like an interesting character. The most successful lawyer novels are written by lawyers themselves, I guess, Gardner, Mortimer, Grisham, and Baldacci...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't either, Prashant. Though I had seen episodes from the TV series, RUMPOLE OF THE BAILEY, with the marvelous Leo McKern.

    I do have a bio of author Mortimer somewhere here in the house.

    I really did enjoy A RUMPOLE CHRISTMAS, very much.

    I've found out that many mystery authors for, whatever reason, are or used to be, lawyers or reporters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen the TV show, but have never read any of the Rumpole books. I'll be looking for them at the library, as well. I grew up listening to A Prairie Home Companion almost every week on NPR and I think Garrison Keillor is just so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Yvette, I found your blog via My Reader Block. I'm a huge Rumpole fan and I will definitely be adding Forever Rumpole to my list. I like all the newer Rumpole books that have come out the last few years, especially the one about the Penge Bungalow Murders, since that is his most famous case!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lauren: A CHRISTMAS BLIZZARD is a hoot. I'd never read any Keillor before. Now I know what all the fuss is about. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bella, welcome! I'm glad you found us. :)

    A RUMPOLE CHRISTMAS was my first go at Rumpole. I loved it. I will definitely be reading more.

    I'm going to look for the one featuring his most famous case. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just want to remind people to rescue dogs and cats from local shelters for yourselves or relatives and friends (check with them, of course) for the holidays.

    Or give a gift to the shelter, or to people in need of food, shelter and housing, at your local charities.

    Or give such a gift in a friend or relative's name. It's always a good thing and most people appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for an important reminder, oh mysterious person.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore Horace Rumpole, and love the Christmas book, but won't be getting the new one. I've got all Mortimer's Rumpole stories, and as far as I can tell this new collection only has one new piece - part of a new one Mortimer was writing before he died. Oh, what a loss.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I believe it was on your recommendation that I bought A RUMPOLE CHRISTMAS sometime last year, Nan. :)

    I'm so glad I did.

    I have plenty of good reading ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, I believe it was on your recommendation that I bought A RUMPOLE CHRISTMAS sometime last year, Nan. :)

    I'm so glad I did.

    I have plenty of good reading ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.