Thursday, December 22, 2011

An Early Christmas Present: Nutcracker - The Motion Picture - Production designed by Maurice Sendak


I have this book and love it, of course. I'd always wished I could see this 1986 version of Tchaikovsky's NUTCRACKER SUITE, designed by the great illustrator and writer, Maurice Sendak and finally, I have. Netflix currently has it for streaming! What a treat!

When my daughter was young we used to take her almost every year to see this wonderful ballet during the Christmas season. Mostly at the Paper Mill Playhouse in NJ, but also once, the New York City Ballet at Lincoln Center. It was always magical. When my granddaughter is old enough, I'm hoping her mom and dad will carry on the tradition.

Adding a couple of youtube links so you can view a few of the dances from the film. Just in case you don't have access to Netflix, I understand the film is available from Amazon On Demand, it is also available as a dvd purchase and for minimal fee downloading from various internet sources.

Link to the Spanish, Arabian, Chinese and Russian dance segments.

Link to the beautiful Forest interlude and the Waltz of the Snowflakes.

The Nutcracker Trailer.


Film directed by Carroll Ballard.

6 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this, book or ballet. I'll be on the lookout for both including a DVD. Netflix hasn't come to India yet and my guess is I'll have to place an order since Indian book/music stores often don't stock what is not "in". But you never know...

    MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you and your family too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prashant: But you must have heard Tchaikovsky's music at some time - right?

    That's easily available on cd or radio or whatnot.

    But if you haven't, then you're in for a treat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard Tchaikovsky's music so getting a CD or listening to "Nutcracker Suite" online shouldn't be a problem. I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, with the links I posted, you can watch a bit of the film anyway. :)

    The Nutcracker Suite was the first 'classical' music purchase I made as a young kid. Memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have the streaming Netflix option -- we stuck with the old fashioned "disc in the mail" plan when they made us chose...lol...but I enjoyed seeing what was on YouTube of this production, Yvette! I hope to take my grandsons to see The Nutcracker either in Denver or NYC when they are older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pat: An evening at the ballet, especially around Christmas, is a magical thing - especially for kids. Adults too, who happen to be in the presence of kids. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.