Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Agatha Christie's Tommy and Tuppence: PARTNERS IN CRIME


A gift to myself. I've been watching (on Netflix streaming) the episodes from the 1983 series featuring James Warwick as Tommy Beresford and the glorious Francesca Annis as his wife Tuppence. The shows were based on the Agatha Christie created characters which debuted in THE SECRET ADVERSARY (1922), Christie's second book.


A book, I might add, with a non-sensical plot, helped along by coincidence and things overheard -devices which Christie would later scale down or eliminate in her more tightly woven plots.


Tommy and Tuppence meet again at the end of WWI (both recently demobbed) when both are at loose ends and looking for an adventurous way to earn a living. That they practically stumble into a life as spies and later, detectives, is due to serendipity, cleverness and the author's way with a fancy plot device. The 'maguffin' here? Papers which would prove embarrasing to the British government. The main plot concerns a missing girl named Jane Finn who, apparently, survived the sinking of the Lusitania and then disappeared.


The series which played originally on PBS Mystery is delightfully frothy television. Not the greatest of stories to be sure, but the two main leads, James Warwick and Francesca Annis are perfection as roaring twenties detectives (Annis even dances the Charleston with the American Ambassador in one of the episodes) who happen to enjoy their married life as well as their detecting adventures.


The series begins with the full length novel, THE SECRET ADVERSARY, then is followed by Tommy and Tuppence short stories turned into hour long (more or less) episodes.


None of them are terribly intriguing mysteries or great writing, but they're still sparkling fun due to the catchy theme music, the gorgeous flapper costumes worn by Francesca Annis and the hapless charm of James Warwick who looks especially spiffy in white tie and tails.


A cheerful way to spend a few hours while wrapping presents or fixing up a batch of cookies or whatever business you may be up to at home this Holiday season.


This post is my entry in the Monthly Agatha Christie Carnival hosted by Kerrie Smith at her blog, MYSTERIES IN PARADISE. The next carnival collection will be posted on December 20th. Don't forget to check in at Kerrie's to get an update.

18 comments:

  1. Hello Yvette:
    'Frothy', as you say, these may be but we are sure great fun, not least for the wonderful costumes and the settings but also, of course, for the absurdity of the plots which, we believe, must add to the overall enjoyment. In the days when we had a television, we very much enjoyed David Suchet playing Poirot in many of the Agatha Christie novels adapted for the small screen. Similar kind of thing, we imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK I would just like to say that Netflix really doesn't do a very good job with their "suggestions." I had no idea this was available streaming! I've always wanted to watch this show--have to admit to liking a bit of fluff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Agatha Christie and have read many of her books but not a Tommy and Tuppence. I Have the Secret Adversary on the shelf though and will get to it this year. I also the PBS Mystery in my netflix que! Will watch one tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adopre Tommy and Tuppence though I havne't seen any of their PBS movies. I may have to watch a few of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't met Tommy and Tuppence yet though I hope to catch up with them when I pick up THE SECRET ADVERSARY next. Neither have I read PARTNERS IN CRIME nor do I remember watching the series. I have seen several episodes of "Agatha Christie's Poirot" starring David Suchet but, I think, that came much later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane and Lance: Great fun for sure!

    I think the David Suchet Hercule Poirot stories - the early ones shown on PBS were much better - script-wise. But still fun.

    Plus they were filmed, not video-taped, which added a nice slickness to them which I preferred.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lauren: Much as I enjoy Netflix, they really do suck when it comes to suggestions. I think the mad computer does it and he only goes by.....who knows????!!!

    I don't know why they even bother. I never pay attention to what they think I'd like. They're ALWAYS wrong! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peggy: Let us know what you think! These are such fun. Tommy and Tuppence lead such delightful make-believe lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patti: Then my work here is done. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ryan: Easy as pie on Netflix streaming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prashant: If you fall under the Tommy and Tuppence spell, then you'll want to watch the shows for sure. Though, as I said, the TV adaptations don't require much heavy thinking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yvette, I don't know if the TV series followed the premise of the original stories, but one of the things Christie was doing is providing parodies/pastiches of popular fictional detectives of the day. In each mystery, Tommy, Tuppence or both tried to solve the mystery by using the techniques of another detective. They did Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Thorndyke, Father Brown, Reggie Fortune, and many more. The last one they copy, in fact, is some Belgian guy named Poirot... Some of the parodies are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Les: This is not so readily apparent in the television series or maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, what with Christmas stuff to do. :)

    When I have a chance to rewatch, I'll pay more attention to the parody nature...If it's there, I'll find it.

    I did hear them mention Father Brown and Edgar Wallace...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tommy and Tuppence is not my favourite Christie series, but I can see the appeal of these posters and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yvette, I loved Agatha Christie's stories about Tommy and Tuppence when I was in junior high school (or middle school as it's now called), so your post about the 1980s TV version of their adventures definitely got my attention! Besides, I've always liked Francesca Annis. I'll have to hop onto Netflix and join in the genteel sleuthing fun! Your review has me eager to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dorte: The shows are great fun to watch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Francesca Annis is something else, Dorian. She is perfect for these shows. The fashions of the times suits her to a T.

    Did you ever get a chance to see her iin the mini-series based on Lili Langtry's life. Now there was a fabulous series.

    The Brits do these SO well.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.