Thursday, January 6, 2011

Dewey Decimal Challenge


Not exactly sure why this is called the Dewey Decimal Challenge, but I've decided to join up anyway. I know, I know, I said two challenges were the max for me. But, here's the thing, I'm planning on reading non-fiction again this year, so why not do it in a challenge format? When I saw that this is a simple enough challenge to follow - just read as little or as much non-fiction as you want - I thought, why not?


The Challenge was originated by Jen at The Introverted Reader. You can read the rules and sign up for the Challenge on her blog. Any book that qualifies as non-fiction is permitted: Memoirs, History, Travel, etc. I'll be doing several biographies this year as well as history.

The Challenge runs from Jan. 1, 2011 - Dec, 31, 2011.

Here are the levels:
  • Dilettante - read one non-fiction book
  • Explorer - read two
  • Seeker - read three
  • Master - read four
See what I mean? Nice and simple. Hardly a challenge at all. Or so I've convinced myself.

My level will be Seeker, even though I know I'll read more non-fiction than that. I'm just playing it safe for now.

Here are some of the non-fiction books I'm interested in reading this coming year:
(Subject to change on whim.)

Howard's End Is On the Landing by Susan Hill

N.C. Wyeth - A biography by David Michaelis

Gladstone - A biography by Roy Jenkins

Enslaved by Ducks by Bob Tarte

Cleopatra's Nose by Daniel J. Boorstin

Making the Mummies Dance by Thomas Hoving

Evening in the Palace of Reason by James R. Gaines

Sounds like a plan. We'll see what happens.

6 comments:

  1. Hmm, as I'm shortly to leave behind me the world of Dewey Decimal - think I might give this one a miss if you don't mind!! ;-)

    (have plenty of FICTION to keep me occupied, and that nice Matt Hilton has done the decent thing and is having his latest Joe Hunter novel released three days after I retire - that's what I call timing!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am impressed. Don't know these books, but some of these titles are hilarious.

    Will look for your reviews here, and enjoy them.

    I'll stick to fiction, as I read the NY Times every day, Google news, and news websites, and I need distraction, enjoyment and my "virtual" vacations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue: I have to see if Matt's books are available here. I'll have to double check. Don't think I've ever seen them. But I'm determined.

    I do like non-fiction, probably because I love history and travel and biography and books about books. But you know what a big fiction fan I am, so for me, it makes a nice balance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy: I like a good non-fiction book though I do, mainly, read fiction. I have some shelves on my books cases devoted to non-fiction. Mostly history, biography and books about books. I also love books about visiting or living in other countries.

    I don't pay much attention to a lot of the daily front page news. TOO depressing and most of it makes me angry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the news does that to me, too with me yelling or muttering at the tv or computer or New York Times.

    Yet read it I must, thus making my fiction, especially crime fiction, evermore important to my well-being. And, by jove, it helps to just pour oneself into fiction, especially if it's riveting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy: I agree 100 percent. One of many reasons why I like my fictional villains either dead or in jail at the end. At least in fiction, the bad guy gets his. (Well, in the sort of mystery/thrillers I read, anyway.) :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.