Sunday, October 12, 2014

Sunday Salon: The Best Time of Year

Canadian painter David Langevin - 'The Colors of October' - source


Swiss painter Felix Vallotton 1921 (1865- 1925) - source

American illustrator Eric Drooker - source

Canadian Plein Air painter Adam Noonan - source


American illustrator Edna Eicke (1919 - 1979) - source

It's Autumn and you know what that means: one day it's too chilly, the next it's too warm and there's no point trying to figure out in advance what to wear. But besides that, it's a beautiful time of year - always been my favorite. I think it all has to do with that 'back to school' thrill of excitement which, no matter how old we get, we never seem to shake. And that's a good thing, I think.

Vintage Little Golden Book - source

8 comments:

  1. I just love this time of year, too, with the leaves turning color, and brisk days; people are scurrying about. The wind hasn't picked up yet, but it's starting to gently blow leaves around.

    It's perfect sit outside and read weather. Or sit inside and drink tea and read weather.

    Nice choice of artwork. The Valloton is new to me, very nice.

    A book you might like is The Rosie Project, light but fun. Not a mystery though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take a look at THE ROSIE PROJECT, Kathy. Too chilly to sit outside here in NJ. :)

      Delete
  2. These are great. I think I am the only person who did not like The Rosie Project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect paintings and illustrations to capture the season. I would never want to live in a place that didn't have four seasons.

    You're right about the 'back to school' urge when autumn comes. I hated school and dreaded it each year, but in the fall, I still want to buy virgin notebooks and pencils, and the cool air clears my head. I'm ready to read more serious books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either, Joan. :) As to 'serious' books, yes. But I'm still trying to finish up my thriller/mystery/crime list before moving on. There are just not enough hours in the day.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Yvette,

    Your choice of art reminds me just how well the color scheme of orange and green works! Felix Vallotton seems to have had a similar vision as David Hockney. The name is new to me, but what a modern look for someone born in 1865!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you have to check out Vallotton's work online, Mark. You'll love it. He is rather different, I think, from his contemporaries and was also noted for his remarkable black and white woodcuts, as well as for one of the more truly self-revealing self-portraits ever. At least in my opinion.

      Delete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.