Friday, September 21, 2012

...Continued from yesterday.

Ten more answers to Cinematic Reviews 20 Questions Quiz 
Don't forget to check in over at Mythical Monkey's blog for his answers (that's where I learned of the quiz first posted by Cinematic Review.)



11) WHAT FILM GETS YOUR VOTE FOR THE WORST OR MOST POINTLESS REMAKE? I would have to say that THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE sounds like the most pointless.


Although UPSTAIRS, DOWNSTAIRS (2011) seems equally pointless as well. (Yes, I know it's more of a sequel, but was it really, REALLY necessary?


For the WORST remake, I'd choose BRIDESHEAD REVISITED (2008) which actually changed some key scenes in the story. The original PBS Masterpiece Theater production by Granada Television cannot ever be improved upon. Period. No reason for a remake - you can't improve on perfection.

The Keira Knightly remake of PRIDE AND PREJUDICE wasn't wonderful and neither was the Harrison Ford SABRINA remake. I just pretend they didn't happen.


12) IS THERE ANY FILM YOU THINK IS ACTUALLY DESPERATE FOR A REMAKE?


I don't know about desperate, but I'd love to see WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE (1951) remade with today's superior special effects. But I'd not like it if they changed the basic script and story.


I would also love to see a remake of SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME (1987) with a slightly different script and a much better ending. Lorraine Bracco as the wife ruined this film as does the second half in which we're force-fed a dumb ending. Tom Berenger and Mimi Rogers had GREAT chemistry.

13) NAME YOUR THREE FAVORITE FILM HEROES


1) Matt Damon as Jason Bourne in the Bourne films


2) Errol Flynn as Robin Hood in THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (1938)


3) Robert Donat as Richard Hannay in THE 39 STEPS (1935)

14) NAME YOUR THREE FAVORITE FILM VILLAINS


1) Angela Lansbury as Eleanor Shaw Iselin in THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (1962)


2) Wes Studi as Magua in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS (1992)


3) James Arness as 'The Thing' in THE THING From Another World (1951)

15) BEST SEQUEL?

 Though TOY STORY 2 (1999) was terrific too.

16) WORST SEQUEL?

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: At World's End (2007) Of course I haven't seen the very latest one.
But I would be remiss if I didn't mention the simply awful INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM
and The SUPERMAN sequel with Richard Pryor, can't remember the title. Don't want to.

17) BEST TRILOGY

I'd add the first three STAR WARS films - Sorry but can't remember what they're calling them now. Very confusing.


18) WORST TRILOGY

I'm with Mythical Monkey on this: the worst trilogy were those unwatchable prequels. Simply dreadful. What on earth was George Lucas thinking?


19) WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE WORD TO USE IN A FILM REVIEW? Brilliant.


20) ANYTHING ELSE?

Yes, none of this is written in stone. I'm also including film posters of two brilliant movies that no one's ever heard of or seems to have seen, except me.


- and -




14 comments:

  1. I have heard of and seen and loved SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER. The best thing about that movie is that is turned to be completely different than my expectations.

    The second film poster does not appear because the website you linked to doesn't allow borrowing images. What's the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is is showing now, John? It's A NEW LEAF with Walter Matthau and Elaine May. One of my top ten favorite films of all time.

    I'm glad you are one of the few to have actually seen SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISHER. You join a select club of which I am the President. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like THE NEW LEAF, too. Sort of reminds me of THE FORTUNE with Stockard Channing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Word identified gobbled up my comment, so I'll rewrite it.

    I added Searching for Bobby Fischer to my movie list, as I heard of it years ago, but hadn't seen it. I've been meaning to watch it since I first saw it on your blog.

    Now, A New Leaf I have seen and howled at. But I haven't rewatched it and I am going to do that. Why not? My sense of humor has grown with aging, so I will probably enjoy it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have to nominate the remake of The Women that came out a few years ago for worst remake. It was horrific.

    My second choice would be the remake of Christmas in Connecticut with Kris Kristoferson and, if I remember right, directed by Arnold Schwarzenegger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, I'm sorry about the word identity thing but when I disabled it I was hit with tons of spam.

    Searching for Bobby Fisher is wonderful. Try to see it if you can.

    I've been meaning to buy a copy of A NEW LEAF. It's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ryan, I'm not a fan of Kris Kristoferson either. That remake of THE WOMEN sounded just awful. I never bothered to see it.

    I wonder who's big idea that was.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to the library right now and turning over "A New Leaf," to watch again. Appreciate the reminder.

    I love Elaine May, what a brilliant writer and comedian.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Drat: the library doesn't have A New Leaf.

    Apparently, it's not out in dvd, only vhs.

    I may have to buy it or see if Netflix has it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just wanted to come by and blame you for my doing this quiz. I didn't think it would be as much work as it was :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Netflix doesn't have it, Kathy. I'm on the waiting list. Been waiting forever.

    I definitely would buy it if it were available on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm rushing right over, Ryan, to see your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazon has a dvd version of A New Leaf.

    I may order it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where did you find that James Arness picture from The Thing From Another World? Fabulous. That's my favorite movie and I watch it every November 2nd, Thing Day, according to the film. "Ya say ya got a man from Mars? Where?" "On ice, buddy, on ice." Thanks. Copied and printed.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.