Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thought for the Day

"A public library is the most democratic thing in the world. What can be found there has undone dictators and tyrants: demagogues can persecute writers and tell them what to write as much as they like, but they cannot vanish what has been written in the past, though they try often enough...People who love literature have at least part of their minds immune from indoctrination. It you read, you can learn to think for yourself." Doris Lessing

Note: More info on the fabulous ABC poster above by artist/designer Doug Keith. (I'm thinking this would make a great Christmas present.)

2 comments:

  1. I love the ABC poster, Yvette. My grandson has something similar except it is animals forming the letters.

    I also like Patience's photo! I've used Fortitude with a wreath around his neck as my blog header during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're changing your header for Christmas? I suspected people might do that. I should have known. Don't know how to do that yet - my daughter handles the really tough stuff for me. I'd be afraid I wouldn't be able to get the Winslow Homer painting I use as my header now, back in its proper place after the holidays. HA! I used to work near the NYC library many years ago, but haven't seen Patience and Fortitude in reality in ages. I don't go into the city much anymore - I wish it were otherwise. I visit vicariously through your blog, Pat. :) This will be my first Christmas as a blogger.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.