Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Over the River and Through the Wood...

THANKSGIVING POEM by Lydia Maria Child. These lyrics were also set to music and became a familiar ditty we used to hum - still do, for that matter. If you don't know what I'm talking about, ask around, most any older person can hum it for you.

Read more about Lydia Maria Child here. She was not only a writer and poet, but an abolitionist and early proponent of women's rights as well as the rights of Native Americans.

Thanks to the amazing Book Tryst for posting about this poem and its author in a wonderful piece by Nancy Mattoon. When I first saw and read it, I knew I had to pass it on.


A Boy's Thanksgiving Day by Lydia Maria Child

Over the river, and through the wood,
to Grandfather's house we go;
the horse knows the way to carry the sleigh
through the white and drifted snow.

Over the river, and through the wood,
to Grandfather's house away!
We would not stop for doll or top,
for t'is Thanksgiving Day.

Over the river, and through the wood -
oh how the wind does blow!
It stings the toes and bites the nose,
as over the ground we go.

Over the river, and through the wood
and straight through the barnyard gate.
We seem to go extremely slow -
it is so hard to wait!

Over the river, and through the wood -
when Grandmother sees us come,
she will say "o, dear, the children are here,
bring a pie for everyone."

Over the river, and through the wood -
now Grandmother's cap I spy!
Hurrah for the fun! Is the pudding done?
Hurrah for the pumpkin pie!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing my post. I loved writing this one, and now consider Lydia Maria Child to be my unsung heroine. I'm grateful that you chose to sing her praises,too.

    I'm also thankful to see your blog and have a chance to explore it. I already love the images.

    Cheers,

    Nancy Mattoon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, thanks so much for dropping by. Yes, I think Lydia Maria Child is my heroine as well. I knew nothing about this (or her) except that it was a song I always hummed this time of year, especially when my daughter was a little girl. Glad you liked my blog. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.