Friday, November 19, 2010

And speaking of Side Dishes...

Ah, J.C. Leyendecker, one of my favorite illustrators of all time. The man's talent for idealization of the human figure was remarkable. This vintage cover of the now defunct Saturday Evening Post shows why he was always called upon to illustrate men, men and more men. Though his women were no slouches either. So, for your viewing pleasure, I present The Pilgrim and The Football Player - both emblamatic of the season, at least until Black Friday. All I can say is: hubba-hubba.

See more of J.C. Leyendecker's wonderful work here on Flickr.

8 comments:

  1. Love JCL's work, but my all-time favourite illustrator is another 'Post contributor - Norman Rockwell!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love Rockwell too. I occasionally use one of his pictures to illustrate a post. (I'm probably going to get in trouble one of these days.) But NOBODY drew men like Leyendecker.
    Call me crazy, but I like looking at good illustrations of men. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...whatever floats yer boat!

    Oh, btw - I see the new Lee Child/Reacher forum is up and running! I had to rejoin and took a new identity - and someone pinched my old signature!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rejoined as well, but I was lucky to keep my own name again. :) Did you see my review of Lee's latest book? Hint: I loved it.

    I SO don't like the new Forum format, but what can you do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah - shows how people differ - I prefer the new forum format (similar to others I use, so I don't have to think too hard! :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  6. No kidding. Oh well, to quote...uh, now let me see, oh, Sue (ha!) "Whatever floats your boat."

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.