Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Excellent Brilliance of Glass

Dale Chihuly, mastermind of glass. Thanks to Pat over at her blog Mille Fiori Favoriti which featured some gorgeous photos she took of the Chihuly installation at an Atlantic City Hotel she visited recently, I remembered a piece on Chihuly done by PBS years ago, on his magnificent installation in Venice. Couldn't find it on youtube or over at PBS though. But I found something else you might like to view: The Chihuly glass installation at the Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh. Something stunning to see in between baking or shopping or whatever else you've got planned for tonight or tomorrow. If you're like me, you'll be cooking anything that can overnight in the fridge, tomorrow.

Did you ever imagine that glass could be worked in such shapes and sizes and brilliance of color?

8 comments:

  1. Yvette,
    There is a whole wall of Chihuly's glass at the Kohl Center in Madison, Wisconsin. As is all of his work, it is quite spectacular. Chihuly attended the University of Wisconsin and I believe he donated this to the city.
    mjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, mjoy! So glad you dropped by today. Thanks again for the postcard! Yes, Chihuly is a treasure. His work is awe-inspiring.

    Have a great Thanksgiving by the way and don't forget to drop by often. I'm back on Lee's Forum, but I do not like the new
    version at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yvette,

    I'm here every day....your website is gorgeous!

    Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!!

    mjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, kiddo! I'm having so much fun with my blog. I'm so glad you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Wichita Art Museum, which is only a few blocks from my apartment has a gorgeous chandelier made of his glass as well as a spectacular Persian Seaform installation that you can not only walk underneath but above as well. Both works are absolutely amazing.

    They were installed a few years ago after a remodel and they were wonderful additions to our museum. If you want to look at them just google Wichita Art Museum along with his name and it should pull up pics of both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info, Ryan. I will look. But right now I have to run....! The time got away from me! See you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the mention Yvette! I do love Chihuly's glass art works and it is always a thrill to discover new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're very welcome, Pat. I was watching his interview where he talks about the way he works now or, at least, since he had the accident a few years ago. He doesn't do the actual 'hands on' stuff anymore, from what I understand, he does the main designing/inspiration and coordination of the large group of glass blowers/designers/artists he employs. Very interesting and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.