Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Feeling Smug About Vintage

Look at this link for an ad from Pottery Barn for a vintage typewriter: 349 bucks. Are they kidding me? Oh well, I guess if you're a gazillion dollar furniture/lifestyle chain of stores, you have a lot of overhead to cover. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Pottery Barn, I just wish their prices were more realistic. Janet Rudolph commented on this 'new' typewriter craze first, over at her Mystery Fanfare blog today and I picked up on it. Why? Oh, because I happen to have a beautiful old Remington typewriter (see picture above) that I love, sitting on a chest in my entry way. I bought it about six years ago in a used furniture store for 20 bucks. Nice to know I was ahead of the new wave. If you live long enough, at some point, you're bound to be ahead of something or other.

4 comments:

  1. I love vintage typewriters, but had no idea it was a "craze".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided to name it thus, Jacqueline. HA! Well, I figure if Pottery Barn is buying up all the old typewriters it can find, then 'craze' is not too far off the mark. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could be in that world where a $349 Pottery Barn typewriter seemed like chum change! Glad you got yours like a real person -- $20 bucks is exactly my kinda of price! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it was a serendipitous purchase - just one of those impulse things. Mine even has an old ribbon still in it. And isn't it nice looking? I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.