Saturday, November 24, 2012

Saturday Salon: 10 Female Portraits I'd Love to Own

Gianni Strino (b.1953) - 'Ingrid' I love her expression of pique.

Portrait of Iris Tree by Augustus John (1878 - 1961)

Spectacular portrait of Isabella Stewart Gardner in Venice by Anders Zorn (1860 - 1920)

Contemporary artist Karien Deroo

Flora Priestly 1889 by John Singer Sargent (1856 - 1925)

A gorgeous portrait of Raquel Meller by Joaquin Sorolla (1863 - 1923)

'A Girl' by Frederick Leighton (1830 - 1896)

'Flapper' by Margaret Preston (1875 - 1963)

Girl in a Japanese Costume by William Merritt Chase (1849 - 1916)

Portrait of Rosalba Peale by Rembrandt Peale (1778 - 1860)

Last week it was 10 men, this week it's 10 women. I'm a huge fan of portraiture, there's just so much to be seen and learned from a portrait by a great artist. The human face is very difficult to capture in any medium, that's why I'm so in awe of those who do it well. But portraits are about so much more than just the face - don't you think?

Of course, there are many MANY more portraits I love and revere and dream of owning, but I've narrowed it down to these ten to keep the thing manageable. Just know that these are not the ONLY portraits I'd care to hang on my walls. Last week's ten and this week's ten are only the tip of the iceberg. Obviously, the only solution is for me to move into a museum.

Portrait of Madame Paul Escudier by John Singer Sargent 

Suddenly remembered how much I love this painting and...well, pretend it's still 10. 

18 comments:

  1. Ces portaits de femmes sont de toute beauté
    Bon week-end
    Sacha

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful portraits. I also like the one at the top.

    Nice way to wrap up the week with seeing these paintings and learning of more artists and works.

    Our Saturday Salon is right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kathy. I have another good one set for next week, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to own Olympia, although I suppose that doesn't officially count as a portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Yvette - I'm enjoying your male and female portrait series very much. Of this grouping, my pick is the girl by Frederick Leighton. Did you know he holds the record for the shortest English peerage? He died one day after being made Lord Leighton.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do mean the Manet painting? I don't see why it couldn't count as a portrait, Tasha. I'll bet the Met has gorgeous prints.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Mark. I'm enjoying putting them together. I did know about Leighton. Too bad they didn't reward him earlier. I love this guy's work. I have a copy of one of his paintings hanging on my living room wall.

    But check out the brushwork on the Sorolla painting. I love the Isabella Stewart portrait for its sheer joy. In fact I love all these portraits or they wouldn't have made the cut. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Portrait of Madame Paul Escudier - she looks kinda scary :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some really lovely paintings there Yvette, thanks very much, somethign special about each one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thye are all beautiful woman. I've always been drawn to Vermeer's "Girl with the Pearl Earring" but it seems like such a cliche these days after the popularity of the book with the same title and the movie--both of which I loved! :)

    I hope you had a wonderful Thanskgiving, Yvette! My days are getting so busy with packing, etc. It's like being in a whirlwind!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Iba, to me she just looks full of personality and charming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a great Thanksgiving, thanks, Pat. When I think of having to pack up all my belongings, it's mind boggling. I know what you're going through. Thank you're still young and energetic. :)

    I thought about GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING but didn't post the painting precisely because of your thinking. Still it is a grand portrait. Liked the movie too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Yvette - Love the beautiful layout of your site. Do you host an art-themed salon in person also, or gather exclusively online? Tell me more about your group, and I would be happy to feature you in my list of conversation salons on my site. Feel free to share my site http://saturdaysalon.com. If your readers are interested in the history of conversation salons, or how to host one, my book, SATURDAY SALON:Bringing Conversation and Community Back Into Our Lives has that and more, including a potluck recipe and Salon-Starter questions section. Again - beautiful layout! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Yvette

    I just found your beautiful blog and what a delightful post - I am going to revised once my morning chores are complete. As your new follower, I look forward to knowing you and look forward to a visit and I welcome comments

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome Helen, and thanks for signing up to follow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Valerie! Your comment finally showed up - I just noticed it today. When you first posted I couldn't find the comment anywhere. Go figure.

    At any rate, thanks for stopping by. No, I don't have an actual salon (I wish I did) - I just pretend on the blog.

    I try to do an art post once a week unless reality intrudes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.