Friday, June 6, 2014

Friday Forgotten (or Overlooked) Book: ASSIGNMENT IN BRITTANY (1942) by Helen MacInnes


ASSIGNMENT IN BRITTANY (1942) is not only the author's second book, it also happens to be my second favorite - after ABOVE SUSPICION which was Helen MacInnes' impressive debut. I'm hoping to track down her other books which, far as I'm concerned, should still be readily available but apparently are not. (I read most of them while in my teens.) MacInnes wrote some terrific low-key thrillers which certainly should not be out of print. She didn't have the noirish capabilities and gift of ambiguous characterization of Eric Ambler, but armed with a keen knack for atmosphere and setting, MacInnes spun her own suspenseful spy thrillers peopled with an attractive assortment of intriguing characters, some of which one wouldn't mind knowing.

Reading ASSIGNMENT IN BRITTANY late into the night, I was completely taken up by this dark tale of WWII intrigue, betrayal and heroism. The good guys are good, the bad guys are vile Nazis - easy to despise. What more could you want? I love this sort of thing when it's done well.

The book's aura and attitude are of a particular moment since the book was written in 1940 and published in 1942. The tale pertains to the behind the scenes activities of a British spy in France as that country is overtaken by the Nazi scourge.

Our hero, Martin Hearne, is a smart, savvy, stalwart Brit; an experienced intelligence agent who speaks French and German fluently, not to mention the language spoken in Brittany which is, I'm given to understand, totally different from regular French. Hearne is resilient and quick to seize opportunity, traits which have made him successful at his trade. Unlikely happenstance has it that he is the spitting image of a certain Bertrand Corlay, a swarthy rugged type who has washed up in England in the tumult of Dunkirk (1940) and is now in hospital where his likeness to a certain British agent has been duly noted.

Hearne then is recruited to step into Corlay's life with the seeming cooperation of the patient who is urged to spill all particulars so that Hearne may successfully impersonate and insinuate himself into a Brittany landscape full of suspicious Bretons and sinister Germans. His task is to make note of the movements of the Germans who, it turns out, are stealthily building air fields and moving munitions into the northern French countryside, cleverly using the Bretons' own jingoistic prejudices and xenophobia against them.

Properly coached and carrying the necessary papers, Hearne is parachuted behind enemy lines and into the desolate outskirts of the isolated village of St. Deodat. At Corlay's farm, Hearns is mystified at first when Corlay's elderly mother treats him with suspicion and dislike. He is also taken aback when Corlay's fiancee Anne, a lovely young woman, breaks 'their' long-term engagement. Complications further arise when Corlay's seductive mistress Elise, a Nazi collaborator, makes her appearance. Obviously Corlay had a secret life which he'd failed to reveal to Hearne and his handlers.

Fulfilling his mission, working with a rudimentary Resistance, allaying the Bretons' suspicions while trying to stay a step ahead of the Gestapo as he unwittingly falls in love with Corlay's ex-fiancee, Anne, professional spy Martin Hearne aka Bertrand Corlay must, in the end, trust his fate to a local school teacher and the village priest, the unlikeliest of heroes.

ASSIGNMENT IN BRITTANY is the sort of book you can't put down and want to read in one gulp. If you can find a copy (I got mine at the library - wonder of wonders), set an evening or two aside and lose yourself in this terrific tale of courage and WWII espionage.

Since it's Friday, don't forget to check in at Patti Abbott's blog, Pattinase, to see what other Forgotten or Overlooked Books other bloggers are talking about today.

16 comments:

  1. Yvette three of MacInnes' best books were reprinted last year by Titan Books. I remember getting a press release from them and just Googled to verify that I was right. Anyone who wants more info on the paperback reprints of MacInnes' books can get the lowdown here. She was definitely a pioneer in realistic espionage, one of the first women to write exclusively in the spy subgenre. I can only think of Baroness Orczy as the one woman spy writer who preceded MacInnes, but her stories were more adventure swashbucklers than real spy novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL, John - the style is nothing like MacInnes. But it is a spy thriller nonetheless. Very enjoyable. But I think I get your meaning. I'm going to track down some more MacInnes so thanks for the reprint info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kind of book, lots of intrigue and I love that time in history.
    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you will love this book, Yvonne. I hope you find a copy.

      Delete
  4. With a jacket like that and the promise of a "dark tale of WWII intrigue, betrayal and heroism" inside, it's my kind of book too, Yvette. I have seen a couple of Helen MacInnes books in secondhand shops here. Hopefully, I'll spot this book too. I read up on the author and found that both her first two books were made into films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend the film version of ABOVE SUSPICION, Prashant. It stars Joan Crawford, Fred MacMurray and Basil Rathbone. I've never seen the film adaptation of ASSIGNMENT IN BRITTANY, so I can only recommend the book. Highly. :) Most of her books were really quite good. So if you come across any, I'd snap them up.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad that I saved all of my MacInnes books. I don't have all of them, but I do have Above Suspicion - which I just reread - and Horizon, and Assignment in Brittany. I just checked the library website and they have 15-20 of her books. Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're fortunate to have a library which hasn't disposed of its MacInnes books, Gram. Mine only has a few. They are perfect for summer reading. I'm hoping to stumble across a couple of her paperbacks as I clear out my shelves.

      Delete
  6. Spy thrillers tend tobehit or miss for me. I'm not even sure why I'll like one, more than another. I may have to look for her books next time I'm at the used book store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ryan if you find any at the used book store, BUY THEM! They are only becoming harder and harder to find. And don't forget Delano Ames and books by Mignon Eberhart. I know you'll like those.

      Delete
  7. Yvette, thanks for reminding me of this author and these two books. I am pretty sure I have an older paperback edition of Above Suspicion, but I am glad John pointed to the recent reprints. I had seen some of them in bookstores, and they are pretty reasonably priced. I need to reread some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome, Tracy. I really enjoyed re-reading this AND Above Suspicion which I reread a while back. I seem to be overloading on vintage lately. Having fun, that's for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember when I worked at the used book store, newbies would often shelve her books in the Gothic Romance section, because they had that look about them and a woman's name on the cover. I always took a bit of pleasure in pointing out that they went with the Spy Fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly that same sort of 'prejudice' worked against her in keeping these books in print. Really, I can't imagine why they are not more available. Her stuff is so good.

      Delete
  10. This does seem like a better book than Neither Five Nor Three. I will see if I can get a copy of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you can find it, Neer. Also ABOVE SUSPICION. In her day, Helen MacInnes was a very popular writer so there should be plenty of paperbacks around. I was lucky enough to find that my library still had the hard cover.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.