Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Sequels (Plus 2) I'm Dying To Read


Top Ten Tuesday is the weekly meme run by the gals over at THE BROKE AND THE BOOKISH. Each week we're given a new topic to fashion a top ten list around. This week it's Top Ten Sequels We're Dying to Read. Don't forget to check in at The B&B to see the complete list of blogging participants. I'm posting 10 + 2 extra in no particular order but just as they occur to me.

Sequels I'll be reading sooner rather than later:


1) PIRATE KING by Laurie R. King. In stores and online today. So it ties in nicely with this theme. The adventures of Mary Russell and her partner and husband Sherlock Holmes is my favorite series of all time next to the original Conan Doyle stories.



2) MISERY BAY by Steve Hamilton. It's been several years, but finally we get another entry in the wonderful Alex McKnight series set in the cold country of northern Michigan.



3) A PARADISE FOR FOOLS by Nicholas Kilmer.
The next in the Fred Taylor art mysteries. Another of my favorites. I love a good mystery set in the art world, am also very fond of the laconic Vietnam vet Fred Taylor and his boss, the eccentric Boston Brahman art collector Clayton Reed.



4) GHOST HERO by S.J. Rozan.
The next in the Bill Smith and Lydia Chin series set usually among the crowded streets of the lower half of Manhattan - where I grew up. Just a fabulous NYC detective series.



5) THE DOG WHO KNEW TOO MUCH by Spencer Quinn.
The fourth in the delightful Chet and Bernie series. I can't say enough about these books, they are absolutely unique and oh-so-wonderfully written from Chet's point of view. Chet happens to be a dog who behaves like a dog while letting us in on the latest case he and his owner, the down at the heels detective, Bernie, are engaged in. No cutesy poo here. Chet is first, last and always a dog.



6) A TRICK OF THE LIGHT by Louise Penny.
The next police inspector Armand Gamache mystery by the Canadian writer who's won just about every writing award worth winning. Usually set in a small Canadian town where murder has, apparently, become a habit.



7) I AM HALF SICK OF SHADOWS by Alan Bradley.
The next Flavia de Luce book and perfect for holiday giving if I say so myself. This is a series set in the 1950's English countryside and featuring a brilliant 12 year old prodigy as the quirky protagonist.


8) EXPLOSIVE EIGHTEEN by Janet Evanovich.
Can't wait to read the next in a long line of hilarious mysteries set in make-believe Trenton and starring hapless bounty hunter Stephanie Plum and her eccentric family. Ranger is my choice. Just sayin'...


9) THE DROP by Michael Connelly.
The 17th entry in the long running Harry Bosch, L.A. police detective series.



10) TAKEN by Robert Crais.
The next Elvis Cole and Joe Pike book due out in January. CAN'T WAIT!!



11) BELIEVING THE LIE by Elizabeth George.
The next in the cerebral Inspector Lynley and Barbara Havers mysteries.



12) THE AFFAIR by Lee Child.
Jack Reacher is back. That's all I need to know.

24 comments:

  1. I've never read any Elizabeth George - I should fix this!

    Also, the Penny looks atmospheric and fantastic.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list! I had trouble thinking of many grown-up series, though I included the Elvis Cole and Jack Reacher books for my husband! He loves both series.

    We both love Michael Connelly's books, too, and Janet Evanovich is always good for some laughs every summer! I still need to read #17.

    I am just about to read the FIRST Alan Bradley book - looking forward to it!

    Nice to "meet" you - looks like we share similar reading tastes!

    Sue

    www.bookbybook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, brother! More to add to my TBR List.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate: Thanks for stopping by.

    You can't go wrong with Elizabeth George and/or Louise Penny. Both are terrific series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue: Nice to meet you too. :)

    I haven't read number 17 either. Waiting for it to be my turn at the library. It takes forever. The books are so popular.

    There seems to be an exceptional list of new books being published this Fall. You will love the Alan Bradley books. Flavia de Luce is a wonderful character.

    Glad you dropped by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belle: LOTS of good new stuff this Fall. My list is in turmoil. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All wonderful sounding mysteries, Yvette. That is a nice list to conquer in the coming months as the days get shorter and colder. There is nothing as good as snuggling up with a good book and a hot cup of herbal tea on a cold night. I am also amassing my TBR collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh these mysteries are perfect for a cold winter night, Pat. :)

    I have a feeling it will be cold sooner than we think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore the title of I Am Half Sick of Shadows since it's my favorite line from that particulair poem. I use it as my email signature and my tag line at Barnes & Noble Book Club Forum.

    I would read it for that alone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my TBR list just exploded, due to the combustion of the size of the list vs. my budget. (Library is hopeless these days.)

    So many here to read, and I'm reminded of the first books or others in the series I want to read.

    And I still have to take a day to scroll back and copy down interesting titles here and at a few other websites. And then I have to figure out how to go without sleep or doing tasks (housework is long forgotten) or errands, paying bills, or fulfilling other obligations, etc.

    Or else have to figure out how to get a 36-hour day. Or if I can listen to one book while reading another. Or clone myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ranger, definitely Ranger.

    What a list of exciting books to look forward to. And some series that are new to me. Thanks! (I think.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm already a fan of Laurie King, Louise Penny, Alan Bradleys's Flavia, Elizabeth George, and (always) Lee Child's Jack Reacher! New installments just waiting for my reading pleasure.

    And some new titles/authors to consider--smile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know, Ryan. I'd told you about this a while back. Soon as I saw the title, I thought of you. :)

    Although I'm not sure what the book will actually have to do with the Lady of Shalot, still I will be reading it simply because it's a Flavia book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kathy: All you can do is make the list and hope for the best. I never read everything I mean to that's for sure. It's an impossible task. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joan: Yes! Another Ranger fan. :)

    You're welcome, Joan. I know what you mean. This time of year, like Kathy, I'm feeling overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. jenclair: Another Reacher Creature. :)

    Far as I'm concerned these are the cream of the new mystery/thriller crop though I know there are a couple I've probably left off the list - new authors I'm not familiar with, other bloggers' recommendations. But for now, I'm going with this basic list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Question for you:

    I just finished my seventh of the Wolfe pack this year -- Too Many Cooks. I wasn't thrilled by this one, as I prefer Goodwin/Wolfe banter in their brownstone on W. 35th St. or when they bringing all the suspects there.

    Where is your preferred list of the Wolfe pack? I want to get through those.

    And how are you doing with Guido and Paolo Brunetti and Signorina Elettra? ( feel like I know these people already.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I, too, prefer the Wolfe stories where they remain in and/or around the brownstone. Those are the ones I concentrate on when I'm rereading.

    Here are some of my faves: (As well as I can remember them at least.)

    WHERE THERE'S A WILL
    THE RED BOX
    BEFORE MIDNIGHT
    OVER MY DEAD BODY
    THE DOORBELL RANG
    THE LEAGUE OF FRIGHTENED MEN
    THE MOTHER HUNT
    THE FATHER HUNT
    MURDER BY THE BOOK
    PRISONER'S BASE
    PLOT IT YOURSELF
    DEATH OF A DOXIE
    PLEASE PASS THE GUILT
    THE GOLDEN SPIDERS
    Any and all of the short story collections.

    I'm not reading any Donna Leons right now. But I will get back to them. There's just so much reading to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay. I've read four of these and 3 others: Fer-de-Lance, Too Many Cooks and Champagne for One.

    I'll copy and paste this into my Word Book List file.

    Am trying to read other books now, including Ann Pachett's new one, which actually looks like a novel/mystery/horror combo.

    I probably can't read this in the wee hours.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kathy: I don't read much horror, but if I did I wouldn't read it in the wee small hours either. :)

    I just reread THE RED BOX, a Nero Wolfe book I hadn't remembered until I began reading. It's a goody. I think I'll review it. Don't want to spend all my time talking about Wolfe books, but when they're THIS good, I gotta' spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh, good, a review of another of the Wolfepack here.

    Have to get ready to laugh out loud, even at the prospect.

    Am right now reading some global mysteries, one set in Istanbul, the other in Sweden. Ann Pachett is on hold; I don't know what to expect with this one, but it got rave reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for your list -- I just put The Red Box with The Rubber Band on library hold: they come as a combo.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, and I just reread this and noticed you chose Ranger for Stephanie Plum.

    You really do live on the edge!

    If I were choosing, I'd probably pick the stable ex-husband, although he has no pizzazz.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.