Friday, April 15, 2011

Jackie Robinson Day

Today is the 64th Anniversary of the day Jackie Robinson broke the Major League Baseball 'color' barrier on the field with the Brooklyn Dodgers. As the first black player ever in MLB, Robinson was warned never to retaliate to the abuse he was sure to get. Far as I know, he never did. That he was one of the most honorable and courageous men ever to play the game goes without saying. When you read what this guy had to put up with, it's a wonder he survived at all. He was an amazing man and an incredible athlete. Read more about Robinson at this link.


The Brooklyn Dodgers were my team as a kid growing up and boy was I proud when Robinson joined the ranks. (Of course I never forgave them for debunking to California, but that's another story.)



2 comments:

  1. Yes! The Brooklyn Dodgers were my family's team.

    We moved to Chicago in the early 1950s and always rooted for the Dodgers, even being kept home from school to see them play the World Series.

    Yes, Jackie Robinson was an amazing, courageous and very strong person, a hero! And he did have to put up with so much abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy: Yes, he was a hero. I hope the young players today appreciate the sacrifices that Robinson made. Oh, the Brooklyn Dodgers broke my heart when they moved to California - I never forgave them.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.