Sunday, June 5, 2011

Another Movie Quiz. Simply because...

 ...I love quizzes. (I hope you do too.) Also I'm hoping that working out the answers will help clear my brain. I am suffering today from as bad an attack of dunderheadedness as I've had in ages. And speaking as an often foggy-brained, every-day-variety dunderhead, that's saying a lot.

I picked up on this latest and very super-duper quiz from one of my favorite movie blogs, A Mythical Monkey Writes About the Movies. M.M.'s answers helped brighten the day.

Don Cozallio's movie blog, SERGIO LEONE AND THE INFIELD FLY RULE is a new one on me. (Check out the link.) I have a suspicion it's more a boy blog than a girl blog, but what the hell, since when have I been afraid to wade into murky waters? The quiz is a great one - the blog looks mighty interesting - and I'm led to understand that these power-house (albeit esoteric) quizzes are an occasional sort of thing. Something fun to look forward to down the line. So, without any further ado, here is: Professor Ed Avery's Cortisone-Fueled, Bigger-Than-Life, Super-Big-Gulp-Sized Summer Movie Quiz:

1) Depending on your mood, your favorite or least-loved movie cliche.
One cliche I most dislike (and which is still in regular use, no one in Hollywood ever having caught on that it IS a cliche) is the one where the hero of a disaster movie (ANY disaster movie) has an ex-wife with whom he's going to be forced to work to save whatever needs saving. Every damn disaster flick I've ever seen seems to have this annoying little marital quirk. I don't even bother to double-check now, I just expect this to be the case.

2) Regardless of whether you eventually caught up with it, which film classic have you lied about seeing in the past?
Since honesty is usually the best policy, I try not to lie unless everyone is dishing a film and not wanting to feel left out, I kind of just shake my head like, yeah, yeah, right, I so know what you're talking about. Not. If pressed, I pretty much admit I've never seen any of THE GODFATHER films - or - RAGING BULL or THE SHINING and have no plans to.

3) Roland Young or Edward Everett Horton?
Hate to say this: Roland Young sort of gave me the creeps. I love Edward Everett Horton in ANYTHING!


4) Second favorite Frank Tashlin movie?
SUSAN SLEPT HERE is my favorite and probably the only one I'm familiar with. It's also one of the few movies in which Dick Powell doesn't make me cringe. I also like the guy who plays the grumbly cop - Horace MacMahon.. Anne Francis is wonderful and even a very young Debby Reynolds holds her own. I remember seeing this in the theater with my mom. Good memory. No, great memory.


 5) Clockwork Orange - yes or no?
No. Nope. Never. Zip. Zero. No comment. I plead the fifth. Talk to my lawyer.

6)  Best/Favorite use of gender dysphoria in a horror film?
Gender dysphoria? No clue.

7) Melanie Laurent or Blake Lively?
Don't know who either of them are. I'll check google. Okay, I'm back. Blake Lively. Probably because I like the name.

8) Best Movie of 2011 (so far...?)
I haven't seen any new movies so far this year. So my answer is PLAN B, a South American film (with English subtitles) released in 2010 which I saw on Netflix just last week for the first time. An engaging and slightly complicated film about two heterosexual guys who fall in love - the film explores the idea that love is love no matter where you might happen to find it.

 9) Favorite screen performer with a noticeable facial deformity.
Rondo Hatton. He was one scary dude. But there was also something touchingly pathetic about him.

Rondo Hatton.
  10) Lars Van Trier? Have no clue who that is. Sorry.

11) Timothy Carey or Henry Silva?
Oh, Henry Silva. Silva, at least, had pretensions of being attractive in a mean, sneaky, underhanded sort of way. You could imagine some woman, somehow, somewhere, maybe loving him. Timothy Carey - unfortunately - no.

 12) Low-profile writer who deserves more attention from critics and/or audiences.
Mythical Monkey


13) Movie most recently viewed theatrically, DVD, Blue-ray or streaming.
Haven't seen anything theatrically in quite a while. Most recently viewed on DVD: SALT with Angelina Jolie. Surprisingly, I liked it much more than I thought I would. A terrific thriller if you're in a thriller frame of mind.


 14) Favorite film noir villain.
Clifton Webb as Waldo Lydecker in LAURA - la, la, la, la, la, la- la, la-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a! (Can't help it.)


15) Best thing about streaming movies.
Well, the immediacy of course. Although I have a feeling that making it that easy to view a film 24/7 sort of takes all the suspense out of it. I mean, it's just too easy to discard a movie - Next!

16) Fay Spain or France Nuyen?
France Nuyen, especially in that Star Trek episode where her tears acted as a love potion. Not that Kirk ever really needed any additional inducement. (Oh, Spain/France - NOW I get it. It takes me a while to catch up sometimes. Ha!)

17) Favorite Kirk Douglas film that isn't SPARTACUS?
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. I was never a fan of Spartacus.


18) Favorite movie about cars.
Don't have one. But my favorite movie car chase was the one in THE BOURNE IDENTITY with the beat-up mini-cooper out-racing police cars on the streets of Paris. Though my favorite car in the history of film is the gorgeously splendiferous vintage Citroen in DIVA.


 19) Audrey Totter or Marie Windsor? 
Marie Windsor. Except for her hard-boiled voice which was kind of hard to take.


20) Existing Stephen King movie adaptation that could use a remake/re-boot or overhaul?
Something called, I think, THE LANGOLIERS, Never did watch it all the way through. I think it was about - maybe- the only people left in the world stranded at a airport or hanger or whatnot. Excruciatingly boring doesn't quite begin to cover it. I think if I had to choose between watching this and swallowing a bug. I'd choose the bug. Come to think of it, it doesn't deserve a remake or re-boot or overhaul. But it's all I can think of. I'm not a big Stephen King fan except for THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION and THE GREEN MILE which, to my eye, are fine just the way they are.

21) Low-profile director who deserves more attention from critics and/or audiences.
Christian Nyby, the director of THE THING, one of my favorite 50's sci-fi thrillers. He didn't do much else I can name off the top of my head, but he should have.


22) What actor that you previously enjoyed has become distracting or a self-parody?
Kevin Spacey.


23) Best place in the world to see a movie?
From a comfy sofa with a plate of snacks nearby.

24) Charles McGraw or Sterling Hayden?
Oh, Sterling Hayden. Though McGraw and Hayden both had great voices.


 25) Second favorite Yasujiro Ozu film? 
Don't know who this is.

26) Most memorable horror movie father figure?
Probably the ineffectual father played by Gregory Peck in THE OMEN.

27) Name a non-action-oriented-movie that would be fun to see in Sensurround.
Don't think I ever saw anything in Sensurround, so can't think what I would like to see. But if I take the name literally, I wouldn't mind being surrounded by Colin Firth in PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. Not a movie I know, but I'm treating it as one.

28) Chris Evans or Ryan Reynolds?
Ryan Reynolds, especially in THE PROPOSAL.

29) Favorite relatively unknown supporting player, from either or both the classic or the modern era.
Roscoe Karns in anything.


30) Real-life movie location you most recently visited or saw.
I haven't been in NYC in awhile, but that would have been the most recent movie location.

31) Second favorite Budd Boetticher movie.
Don't know this guy's work. Never heard of him.

32) Mara Corday or Julie Adams?
Julie Adams in THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, my second favorite monster flick from the 50's. (Or maybe my favorite.) 

33) Favorite Universal International western.
BACKLASH with Richard Widmark and Donna Reed..

 34) Favorite actress of the Silent Era.
Don't have one. I did like the robotic woman in METROPOLIS.

 35) Favorite Eugene Pallett performance. 


Friar Tuck in ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
Couldn't find a good pix of Pallette in Robin Hood.

36) What could Multiplex owners do right now to improve the theater viewing experience for movie goers? What could movie goers do?
Cut prices. Keep quiet - turn off phones.

37) What's the biggest 'gimmick' that's drawn you out to see a movie?
The gimmick that always worked for me when I was a kid: A double feature with 10 cartoons on Saturday afternoon, all for a quarter.

13 comments:

  1. Liked your list, Yvette -- but The Last Wagon is a 20th Century-Fox oater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it? Okay, I'll pick something else. All I'm remembering from that time was lots of Rock Hudson westerns with U.I. world logo. But I was never really a big Rock Hudson fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done excellently for someone with allergy-induced brain fog. I have allergy-induced amnesia, can't remember anything in order to do this quiz.

    My only comments are: favorite Stephen King movies are The Shawshank Redemption and Dolores Claiborne, neither of which need revising or remaking.

    Haven't seen movies in theatres, watch dvd's at home or a friend's.

    Theatre owners could cut prices, offer much more in discounts for people in fixed incomes, charge normal prices for snacks and drinks and have healthy snacks.
    (but not an apple or orange or bag of nuts or bottle of water for $10; that's ridiculous. Then we have to smuggle in fruit.)

    When I was a kid in Chicago, a double-feature Saturday matinee was a draw with lots of trailers for upcoming movies and newsreels in black and white. Loved all of those.
    (Even then I couldn't afford the snacks, so I remember at about age 11, making some fudge in a glass pie plate and bringing the entire pie plate with me in a bag. We had to dig out the fudge with utensils and bang the plate around to get it out. I later figured out you take the fudge out first and bring it.)
    Childhood has its fun memories.

    I'll ponder this later when I can think but don't know when that will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list ... it will take me some time to put together a similar one, but I think I will start working on it and let you know when I am done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy: I love reading about the things we used to do as kids to get by in a movie theater - then then the candy was overpriced. (That's where theater owners make their real money - of so I understand.)

    In my day, they didn't seem to mind so much if you smuggled in something as long as you didn't throw it around and hit someone in the eye with it.

    There was always a 'matron' who guided us down to the kid's section with a flashlight. She promptly threw us all out once a certain time was reached. We weren't allowed to stay past, say, 3 o'clock. (But we were allowed to see the films over and over again if we came in early enough.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. iluvcinema: Looking forward to your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I laughed when I saw that you'd picked the Mythical Monkey as the low profile writer who deserves more attention.

    Two films on your list, Katie-Bar-The-Door and I watched yesterday -- The Thing From Another World and The Adventures of Robin Hood. The former as a tribute to James Arness, the latter because it was on TCM. The Thing is probably one of Katie's top five favorite movies.

    Oh, and France Nuyen -- I didn't recognize her until you posted the head shot from Star Trek. I had to look up the episode's title. "Elaan of Troyius." Not quite as catchy as "The Trouble with Tribbles," is it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, M.M. I could hardly do any less. :)

    The two films you mention watching are two of my very faves also. I never get tired of watching them.

    Embarrassing to admit, Elaan of Troyius is one of my favorite STAR TREK episodes. :) I like the orange styrofoam thingies on Elaan's bodyguard's uniform. They really had NO money for costumes, obviously. But they made of them what they could. :)

    Second favorite Star Trek episode: the one with the living rock in the underground cave - she was laying round rock eggs and the miners were killing them off thinking they were merely rocks, never suspecting they were babies. Love that episode.

    ReplyDelete
  9. FYI: At the post below, when I clicked to read/write messages, I got a "Blogger Disabled."

    I wrote a message last night but it got swallowed up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you're having problems. There's not much I can do on my end except what I'm doing. I've switched over to Firefox as my internet browser but frankly, it's not any better than what I had before. So I'm going to go back.

    Google Blogger is obviously the problem. Short of switching to another blogger host - which I don't feel confident in doing - I'm sort of stuck until G.B. straightens itself out.

    All I can say is: please bear with me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was Kathy D., not anonymous, whose comment was met by a strange Blogger comment. Gosh, does Blogger ever have a mind of its own.

    I got Diva, the movie, today but in my allergy-induced fog, I'm not sure this is the time to see it. It seems like full attention is needed, but I'll try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kathy: Don't watch it if you're not in the mood. Wait until better times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please feel free to add to today's list if you like...I almost always do my posts the night before or on the day, and various activities have kept me from writing my own for today...yet!

    And thanks for joining in!

    Definitely France Nuyen...though I'd highlight her I SPY work first.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.