Friday, July 1, 2016

Friday Forgotten (or Overlooked) Book: TO SAY NOTHING OF THE DOG by Connie Willis


I'm not, normally, a HUGE reader of science fiction or even fantasy (though having said that, I do actually read some - I'm not a complete knucklehead) and therefore I'm not sure how to approach this post because I know there are many hard-core sci-fi and fantasy fans out there who will quibble with my effrontery. Me not being an expert and/or a REAL hardcore fan and all.

Nevertheless, I do appreciate Connie Willis who, for whatever reason, is apparently not the first name anyone thinks of when called upon to make a list of sci-fi favorites. (I understand that it's not called sci-fi anymore, but humor me. I like the sound of it).

To my mind, Willis has, so far, written three masterpieces, 1) DOOMSDAY BOOK, 2) PASSAGE and 3) the book we're talking about today. While the first two are dark, foreboding and very moving, this third book is hilarious even if it is sometimes thought of as a sequel (of sorts) to the infinitely more somber DOOMSDAY BOOK. I don't, however think of it that way, so don't worry about it. The only thing the two books have in common is the actuality of a time travel apparatus and a couple of characters if I'm remembering correctly. (PASSAGE, on the other hand, is a mesmerizing stand-alone with a shocker of a 'stop in your tracks' surprise halfway through.)

TO SAY NOTHING OF THE DOG (1998) owes its catchy title to Jerome K. Jerome's paean to Victorian leisure and the antics of three inept but jovial chaps: THREE MEN IN A BOAT (To Say Nothing of the Dog) published in 1889. Both books feature a long and somewhat leisurely boat trip down (or is it up?) the Thames between Kingston-Upon-Thames and Oxford. A similar trip is taken (as part of a more goal oriented agenda) by Ned Henry, a time weary (kind of like jet lag but without the jet) traveler from mid-21st century Oxford who must shuffle back and forth in time in pursuit of arcane knowledge.

It is 2057, Coventry Cathedral (destroyed by the Nazis in WWII) is being rebuilt and time travelers are busy plucking precise minutiae from the past. In return for a sizable donation (what we would call a grant) from the coffers of a certain Lady Schrapnell (whose self-appointed task it is to rebuild the Cathedral - something to do with her family's history), the technicians and apparatus of the Time Travel section of Oxford University have been made available to the somewhat crazed benefactor.

Nothing must go wrong at the great 'unveiling' of the Cathedral. And to that end, Lady Schrapnell has run amok, not caring about the hazards of time travel wear and tear, not to mention the dreaded 'slippage' and the vagaries of the entire time travel structure - she is only interested in results! And lately, to be sure, the Bishop's Bird Stump - a hideous Victorian artifact which must be located and placed in its niche if the Cathedral is to appear EXACTLY as it did before the bombing. Ned Henry, an exhausted traveler suffering from time lag syndrome is forced to trek back yet again after an unforeseen 'incident', the results of which may throw the entire time space continuum into a conniption.

"Oh, good, you're here, Mr. Chiswick," Mr. Dunworthy said. "I want to talk to you about an incident concerning - "

"And I want to talk to you about Lady Schrapnell," Chiswick said. "The woman's completely out of control. She pages me night and day, wanting to know why we can't send people more than once to the same time and place, why we can't process more drops per hour even though she has systematically stripped me of my research staff and my net staff and sent them running all over the past looking at almsboxes and analyzing flying buttresses ." He waved the bleeping handheld. "That's her now. She's paged me six times in the last hour, demanding to know where one of her missing historians is! Time Travel agreed to this project because of the opportunity the money afforded us to advance our research into temporal theory, but that research has come to a compete stop. She's appropriated half my labs for her artisans, and tied up every computer in the science area."

He stopped to punch keys on the still bleeping handheld, and Mr. Dunworthy took the opportunity to say, "The theory of time travel is what I wanted to discuss with you. One of my historians - "

Chiswick wasn't listening. The handheld had stopped bleeping, and now it was spitting out inch upon inch of paper. "Look at this!" he said...

Mr. Dunworthy broke in. "What would happen if an historian brought something from the past forward through the net?"

"Did she ask you that?" he said. "Of course she did. She's gotten it into her head to have this bishop's bird stump she's so obsessed with if she has to back in time and steal it. I've told her and told her, bringing anything from the past to the present would violate the laws of the space-time continuum, and do you know what she said? 'Laws are made to be broken.'

He swept on, unchecked, and Mr. Dunworthy leaned back in his desk chair, took off his spectacles, and examined them thoughtfully.

"I tried to explain to her," Chiswick said, "that the laws of physics are not mere rules or regulations, that they're laws, and the breaking of them would result in disastrous consequences."

"What sort of disastrous consequences?" Mr. Dunworthy said.

"That is impossible to predict. The space-time continuum is a chaotic system, in which every event is connected to every other in elaborate, non-linear ways that make prediction impossible. Bringing an object forward through time would create a parachronistic incongruity. At best, the incongruity might result in increased slippage. At worst, it might make time travel impossible. Or alter the course of history. Or destroy the universe. Which is why such an incongruity is not possible, as I tried to tell Lady Schrapnell!"

"Increased slippage," Mr. Dunworthy said. "An incongruity would cause an increase in slippage?"

"Theoretically," Mr. Chiswick said. "Incongruities were one of the areas Lady Schrapnell's money was to enable us to research, research which has now gone completely by the wayside in favor of this idiotic cathedral!"

At any rate, due to this 'slippage' thing, hapless historian Ned Henry travels back to Victorian England, years before WWII, to try and correct an incongruity which could have enormous ramifications for the future.

Let me just add that involved in all this is a boat, the Thames river, an almost drowned professor, a dog, chaos theory, Victorian manners, a girl named Tossie, a seance, a sort of love story and a cat.

A time travel comedy is not something most of us might think of when thinking science fiction, but Connie Willis makes it work oh-so-very well.

P.S. I've read TO SAY NOTHING OF THE DOG three times and will probably read it yet again as time goes by. (I also have it on audio, which is tons of fun to listen to.)

Normally on Friday, author Patricia Abbott would be doing FFB hosting at her blog, Pattinase. But today Todd Mason has taken over hosting duties at his blog, Sweet Freedom, while Patti is on assignment. Don't forget to check in and see what other Forgotten or Overlooked Books other bloggers are talking about this week.

23 comments:

  1. So glad to see this review, Yvette. I have not read any of Connie Willis's novels (just some short stories) but I want to read this one that you reviewed and other of her time travel books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of time travel, Tracy. And when it's handled this well, I love reading about it. I hope you get a chance to read more Connie Willis. She is SO wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the pointer! It might surprise you to learn that among the more literary sort of sf fan, the kind that pays some attention to the book awards, Connie Willis remains one of the most personally popular as well as consistently award-winning of writers (and convention Mistresses or Masters of Ceremonies)...and those are the people least likely to say "sigh-fie" when describing the literature, though they might say "fantastika" these days when speaking broadly about fantastic-fiction of all sorts, since SF for the encompassing speculative fiction can be confused in conversation with sf for science fiction...and these folks are often found enjoying humorous time-travel fiction, of one degree of wryness or another. I've been meaning to get to my copy of this one for years. And the Jerome novel as well. I imagine you've read "Fire Watch" and "All My Darling Daughters"...some tough work in some ways. So, all told, for a sporadic sf reader, you've chosen well in choosing Willis...but you knew that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I kind of knew that, Todd. :) I love all the Connie Willis books I've been fortunate enough to read. But I must say I haven't read 'FIRE WATCH' or 'ALL MY DARLING DAUGHTERS' - are they short stories? I loved BLACK OUT by the way, but didn't like its sequel, ALL CLEAR. Go figure. Nobody's perfect.

      Delete
    2. "Fire Watch" is a novella that begins one of the sequences you like; "Daughers" is perhaps one of her most disturbing short stories.

      Delete
    3. Okay, Todd. Will look them up.

      Delete
  3. I bought a copy of this many moons ago because I liked the idea of a science fiction/time travel book that was inspired by THREE MEN IN A BOAT. Still have yet to read it. I hope I can slip it into this month's reading. Your usual delightful review makes me want to stop everything and go digging for it. But of course it'll take me half a day to locate the thing because I know it's in one of the many boxes in the dreaded "book warehouse" that was once our second bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FIND IT!!! Read it! I've said my piece. Except: you'll love it. :)

      Delete
  4. Yvette,

    I enjoyed The Doomsday Book and Fire Watch, and as for Passage, well, Ambrose Bierce said it best: The oovers are too far apart. I found it repetitive.

    I found the river voyage in the first part of To Say Nothing of the Dog uninteresting, and I almost stopped reading, but the river journey finally ended and I enjoyed the rest of the work. This may be because I thought Three Men in a Boat too long also. Sorry to be so disagreeable.

    I find Connie Willis's short stories far more enjoyable than most of her novels. Don't know why, but her shorter works really grab me. Personal tastes are confusing--especially my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Fred, no two people read the same book as you well know. I've not read any of Willis' short stories, but I have read a couple of her novellas though I hardly remember them. I do love her novels. Though not all equally. It's so hard to judge what one person will like over another since every one of us brings something unique to a book - ourselves.

      Delete
  5. I had no idea. I guess my SF reading has simply been elsewhere. Thanks for this review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i thoroughly enjoyed it. other books of hers, not so much... she has a definite knack for conveying a pseudo-scholarly Oxfordian ambiance that's quite engaging...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love that. She also has a knack for making all that happens, no matter how outrageous, entirely believable.

      Delete
  7. I just might use your lead-in to this for my treatment (coming soon) of The Best of Murray Leinster, along with a photo of his grave, which is about five minutes from my apartment. Crediting you, of course, and changing the horribly gauche "sci-fi" to s-f to avoid the tsunami of raised eyebrows from aficionados--to say nothing of the dog (the eponymous novel herein reviewed having piqued my curiosity).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is THE BEST OF MURRAY LEINSTER? Mathew? Never heard of it. Please explain if you will. Or should I wait for your post? :)

      Delete
  8. I read To Say Nothing of the Dog in May of 2014 and enjoyed it enough to follow up with Willis' Blackout and All Clear - which were smashing! She does time travel SO well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think her version of the time travel apparatus makes sense. The fact that it won't allow revisions of past major events and won't allow the traveler (no matter the coordinates) to land anywhere near, say, Hitler or what not. Won't allow the past to be changed in any meaningful way. I did love BLACKOUT, but not so much ALL CLEAR.

      Delete
  9. This is also one of my favourite books Yvette. The time travel element means it is labelled as science fiction, which may deter many who would throughly enjoy it, but the time travel is good fun, and the book is really a comedy romance. My only slight gripe is that some of the 'Englishisms' are wrong, (eg, foyer instead of hall), but most won't notice them. Connor Willis is a great story teller, and I think this will become a classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm one who didn't notice the 'Englishisms' gone wrong, Michelle. :) I think this book will be a classic (if it isn't one already) as well. Thanks for dropping by, Michelle.

      Delete
  10. A very fine review, Yvette, an opinion based partly on the fact that we totally agree on this. I haven't read all of Willis's novels, but of those I have, I have the same three favorites as you do. I think that she has a great ability to write humor, pathos, and anything in between. Passage, for example, is a very funny book...until it stops being funny. I liked To Say Nothing of the Dog so much that I finally read Three Men in a Boat, which I had owned for most of my life and never opened.

    As Todd said, you should try to read some of Willis's short fiction. I dislike "All My Darling Daughters", a science fiction story that borders on horror; the monsters are the entire male sex. It is unquestionably a very strong, well-written story, though.

    Some of my favorite short stories of Willis's would include "Firewatch" and "The Last of the Winnebagos", both quite moving, and "Blued Moon" and "At the Rialto", both quite funny. I like most of what I have read of her short fiction, with a few that seem like they were written by someone else (with a lot less talent).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. Have you tried the audio version of TO SAY NOTHING OF THE DOG? It gives another intriguing dimension to the story. I really enjoyed it.

      I will look for the short fiction, for sure based on yours and Todd's recommendations.

      Delete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.