Friday, June 24, 2016

Friday Forgotten (or Overlooked) Book: THE HOUSE OF THE FOUR WINDS (1935) by John Buchan


Sorry guys, I can't be reasonable about these books - when it comes to John Buchan, you could say that I'm close to becoming unhinged (but in a good way). Can't help it. I haven't read all he's written, but the books I have read I've loved and taken to my heart, they are books I will continue to reread as long as I live. You see, I love well-written (if improbable) adventures of long ago  - stories that recall a different world where codes of honor and good manners mattered. A world where people still dressed for dinner and occasionally read poetry. (It also doesn't hurt that I've been an anglophile since my teens.)

Before I forget, here's my review, from last year of HUNTINGTOWER just in case you missed it. It's the first book in the Duncan McCunn trilogy.

The three books (HUNTINGTOWER, CASTLE GAY and THE HOUSE OF THE FOUR WINDS) should be read in order so that the recurrence of certain characters (and their personalities and quirks) will have that much more meaning. But it's not the end of the world if you don't. Stay flexible - that's my motto. Though THE HOUSE OF FOUR WINDS is actually the sequel to CASTLE GAY.

Most of you are probably familiar with John Buchan from having seen Hitchcock's early classic THE 39 STEPS based on the first Richard Hannay book. Though the film script made many changes from the novel (there is no woman romantic interest in the book, for example) it has its own delightfully shadowy allure even to this day. The book is rather different, but it also has its own allure. I've read it twice and will read it again along with GREENMANTLE and MR. STANDFAST. Terrific stuff.

These are the sorts of books you either have an inclination for or you don't. The kinds of books I loved as a kid (books I could disappear into) and still love as an old lady. They are definitely of their time, but I don't find that a hindrance at all. If you enjoyed THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL by Bareness Orczy and THE PRISONER OF ZENDA by Anthony Hope and/or the books of Rafael Sabatini, for instance, then you will probably enjoy John Buchan's stories.

The McCunn books were a late find for me (I had only been familiar with Buchan's Richard Hannay books the last couple of years). And now I am incorrigible about recommending them to anyone who likes a good rip-roaring yarn full of adventure and derring-do, books where the good guys win and the bad guys don't. My kind of books. I mean, sometimes you do need a break from the grimness of everyday life.

Duncan McCunn is a retired grocer (with a romantic heart) and the endearing Scottish hero of HUNTINGTOWER, the first book in this trilogy. He jumps into the fray once again, years later when adventure comes calling in the very enjoyable CASTLE GAY, the second in the trilogy. But to my mind, THE HOUSE OF FOUR WINDS stands up even better to HUNTINGTOWER (which I consider to be 'brilliant') and makes for a perfect third installment.

It's years since Duncan McCunn and the Gorbal Diehards (Glaswegian slum boys without whom a princess would not have been saved and a dangerous villain routed) had an unexpectedly splendid adventure in the Scottish Highlands. After which, impressed by their devotion and intelligence, McCunn had taken two of the boys, Wee Jaikie and Dougal(Chief of the Diehards) into his home and raised them as surrogate sons. They are now young men off to make their way in the world.

All are traveling over the summer holidays to Europe from Scotland. Each on his own, but they will meet up at various places on the Continent which of course, accommodates the adventure nicely. Several characters from the second book, CASTLE GAY, will also be along to help as well as a menacing leftover bad guy in need of a strong rebuke.

Duncan McCunn who is feeling elderly aches and pains will be traveling for his health, Jaikie is on a walking tour and Dougal is on assignment for his newspaper.

It is 1935 and two pugnacious factions are gearing up to overthrow the corrupt rulers of the tiny country of Evallonia. The monarchists form one group and 'Juventus', a well-regulated rebellious youth movement (sort of like the brown shirts in Germany, but nicer) form the other. They see the monarchy in the person of Prince John (the rightful King of Evallonia) as nothing more than a puppet leader and not to be trusted. Needless to say, there are some very nasty villains trying to make sure that neither of these groups succeeds in their aims, setting them against each other and generally stirring the pot.

To prevent a blood bath and place good Prince John on the throne will take all the amateur skill and ingenuity first evinced in HUNTINGTOWER by McCunn and his 'diehards' not to mention the skill and heroics of friends met along the way - the novel is told from several points of view and doesn't suffer in the least from this since John Buchan handles it all skillfully. The last third of the novel is as exciting as just about anything I can remember reading. (Which isn't saying a lot because my memory is not what it once was, but you get my drift.) The beginning is rather slowish and a bit meandering, but stay with it. I did. It soon picks up speed and you'll be off on a grand adventure. Hold on to your hats - because there will even be a Prince in disguise!

Needless to say, there are plot machinations galore and a bit of a love story (involving darling Jaikie whom we've come to have great affection for over the three books) as all the links are finally woven together in an expert way - though I might add that the story-line does require that you pay attention. It's all in the mind-set, you know. If you're in tune, you'll love all this as much as I did. If you're not, you won't.

What can I say? I'm not sensible about any of this.

And since it is Friday, we usually check the FFB links at Patricia Abbott's blog, but this week Todd Mason is doing hosting duties later on today at Sweet Freedom.

16 comments:

  1. Nice review, Yvette. I have been planning to read John Buchan for a while now but I don't like the idea of reading his work in ebook format. I'd prefer reading paper books. I feel that way about most pre-1950 books and especially the classics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Prashant. I feel exactly the same way, but sometimes it's an e-book or nothing. :) I very definitely want to get my hands on the actual hardcovers of these three books.

      Delete
  2. Your post comes just at the right time. I've been feeling like I'd like to read an older adventure story. I have Huntingtower on my Kindle and I see my library has the other two in the trilogy. I'll pretend I'm 14 again, on summer vacation, lying in a hammock (really on the sofa).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to be of service, Joan. :) Best pretense ever. I hope you will enjoy these books as much as I did.

      Delete
  3. I have never read this one - in fact, I need to get a copy! Thanks Yvette, sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A terrific book, Sergio. I hope you have a chance to read and review it at some point.

      Delete
  4. i've read some Buchan with a lot of enjoyment; the last was "castle Gay" which i didn't realize was a part of a trilogy; off to order it tx. by the by, you might enjoy some of michael innes' books; some of them involve long chases and pursuits through the scottish highlands and have quite the same character as Buchan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the work of Michael Innes, Mudpuddle! I've read many of them and yes, my favorites are the 'chase' ones. Let us know how you like THE HOUSE OF THE FOUR WINDS!

      Delete
  5. I didn't like the 39 Steps film very much, probably because I'm just not much for spy stuff. So I wonder if this trilogy would be a good fit. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think these books are much different from the Richard Hannay books, Richard. Try HUNTINGTOWER and see what you think. I simply fell under its spell almost right away. But you need to be in an adventurous mood, of course.

      Delete
  6. Yvette, I did not know much about Buchan's books, except for The 39 Steps (which I have read) and the other books in that series. I will definitely give this series a try someday. Like Prashant, I would rather not read in e-book, but will if I have to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just can't find a reasonable (or reasonably priced) alternative - that's when the Kindle comes in handy. But I agree, it's always better to read the actual book-book. Don't miss out on these, Tracy. They are really wonderful.

      Delete
  7. Hadn't known of Buchan, but, as I, too, love a good rip-roaring yarn full of adventure and derring-do, books where the good guys win and the bad guys don't, I might have to look him up. Thanks, as usual, Yvette, for an entertaining review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if you love that sort of book, Mathew, then Buchan is definitely for you. Begin with HUNTINGTOWER and you won't go wrong. :)

      Delete
  8. I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for this, and the other two books. You have never steered me wrong, and I doubt you will anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, m'dear. You are so good for my ego. :) I think you would love these books - great summer reading too. P.S. You can find HUNTINGTOWER for free at Project Guttenberg.

      Delete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.