Thursday, December 4, 2014

Yet Again: My Favorite Quirky Christmas Movies (Heavy on the Quirk)

With your indulgence, this is a revamp of previous Christmas film posts. Nothing new is ever added, I stubbornly hold to the belief that nobody knows how to make this sort of movie anymore. 


1) MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS (1934) is watched religiously by me every year either at Thanksgiving or Christmas. It is ritual. I know the songs by heart and can often be heard  humming along tunelessly with the music and if I'm really in the mood, I'll sing the words too. When it comes to this movie I am incorrigible. Laurel and Hardy, Santa Claus, Little Bo-Peep, A cello playing Cat, A bomb throwing monkey and Boogeymen - what more could you want? 

My original review for you purists out there.

Do not, whatever you do, fall for the 'colorized' version, it is blech. Stick to black and white, if you can find it.


2) THE THIN MAN (1934) Obviously '34 was a good year for Christmas movies. The very suave and sophisticated Nick and Nora Charles solve a murder or two, drink endless martinis, kibbitz in Manhattan's best eateries and dives, and celebrate Christmas with a hotel room full of wise-cracking NY riff-raff. Again I ask, what more could you want? And when was the last time you saw a movie featuring someone named Minna Gombell? I ask you.

Poor hapless Minna looks perpetually shell-shocked. I think it's the eye-makeup. Elizabeth Arden it ain't. And note that her very icky gigolo-hubby is played by none other than the still-to-be-suave Cesar Romero.


3) AMAHL AND THE NIGHT VISITORS (1951) If you can find this early black and white television version, then this is the one to watch. A short opera written for television by Gian Carlo Menotti (who was one of the directors), it remains fixed in my mind and heart as sheer Christmas perfection.

Three Wise Men (Three Kings, actually), following their star, must stop and rest for the night and choose the very humble abode of a desperately poor widow and her young, mischievous, handicapped son who hops about on a crutch and can't help getting into trouble. He's very inquisitive, you see.

There's no cuteness though, it's all just glorious singing to glorious music as well as some dancing villagers and, near the end, a miracle. If you've never seen this, you're in for a wonderful treat. This unique production is one of several reasons I am a life-long opera fan.


4) LADY ON A TRAIN (1945) starring Deanna Durbin as a ditzy society babe, out from under the watchful eye of her indulgent dad, just in from the coast to spend Christmas in NY with her aunt. But as the train pulls into Grand Central the deb spots a murder from the window of her compartment and the hunt is on for a killer. (What else is a nicely bred young lady to do in NYC on Christmas eve?) 

There is a cast full of character stalwarts from the forties, including Edward Everett Horton (with, truthfully, not much to do), David Bruce, Ralph Bellamy (at his ultra creepy best), Dan Duryea (equally creepy, he just can't help himself), Elizabeth Patterson, Allen Jenkins and George Coulouris, there to prop up Miss Durbin who does a creditable job playing the ditz who drives everyone crazy. 

She even gets to sing Silent Night (in close-up) over the phone to her dad out in California. 
Here's my original review, if you're so inclined. 


5) THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER (1942) starring Bette Davis, Monty Woolly, Reginal Gardiner and Ann Sheridan in a loony tale of a famous New York radio personality/curmudgeon who is forced by circumstance - a slip and fall incident - to spend the holidays in the home of a 'normal' small town midwestern family (with money) whose lives he upsets in a hilarious and often fiendish variety of ways. This is SO much fun and as the quips and insults fly by quickly - you gotta' pay attention. Bette Davis plays quietly sweet (if gently acerbic) very well as the curmudgeon's secretary and general factotum.

Note: An adorably engaging impersonation of Noel Coward by Reginald Gardiner almost steals the movie from the ferocious Monty Woolley whom I adore.

Here is fellow movie maven Dorian's take on THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER. Hint: She loves it as much as I do.


LADY IN THE LAKE starring Robert Montgomery, Audrey Totter and Lloyd Nolan. Based on Raymond Chandler's book. Spend Christmas with Phillip Marlowe and solve a murder, meet a gaily dressed gigolo and solve a murder or two while you're at it. My original review


Of course there are many versions of Dickens' A CHRISTMAS CAROL, but this year I'm choosing the one originally made for television and starring the superb American actor George C. Scott, (he had that curmudgeon face down pat). Scott's English accent isn't very good, but it doesn't seem to matter, it all works for me. He really is wonderfully touching.


SUSAN SLEPT HERE starring Dick Powell, Debbie Reynolds, Anne Francis, Glenda Farrell and Alvy Moore. A saucy comedy in which Debbie plays a seventeen year old truant who takes an improbable detour at Christmas - brought about by the machinations of two soft hearted L.A. cops. Susan aka Debbie, lands in the apartment of man-about-town screenwriter Dick Powell whose dragon queen fiance is played to the absolute hilt by an all but snarling Anne Francis.

Yes the age difference between the two principals is a bit of a stretch, in truth, Powell is old enough to be Debbi'es father, though on screen he's supposed to be in his late thirties - yeah, right. Well, Susan does turn 18 during the course of the story so that makes her legal - just. There are no real love scenes so not to worry. It's all just light and frothy Cinderella fun. But if you're of a serious turn of mind, then skip it.

Here's my original review.


CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT starring Barbara Stanwyck , Dennis Morgan and Sydney Greenstreet. Barbara Stanwyck plays Elizabeth Lane, a magazine food writer whose warm-hearted articles about hubby, baby, home and hearth on a Connecticut farm are followed religiously by women all over the country. The only trouble is that Liz is single, doesn't know how to cook, and has no real love for the country which is just as well since she doesn't really have a farm in Connecticut.

Over Christmas she is forced to make this fantasy life come true for her boss, publisher Alexander Yardley (Sydney Greenstreet in a rare benign performance) who insists on spending a real old fashioned Christmas with Liz and her 'family' as they welcome home a war hero played by Dennis Morgan. Uh-oh.

A Christmas delight of confused identities and happily ever after.

Where are WHITE CHRISTMAS and HOLIDAY INN? Not quirky enough. Besides I'm not a fan of Bing Crosby.

23 comments:

  1. A very quirky list indeed! I bought TMWCTD the last time you mentioned it & still haven't watched it... I will definitely watch it this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you must, Lyn. :) And I hope you fall under its more than quirky spell. Look for the zippers on the boogeymen's costumes, that's part of the heathenish fun. Ha.

      Delete
  2. Pretty much like all of these a lot (especially THE THIN MAN of course) - great list Yvette, thanks chum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the Times online today has a huge list of Christmas movies. Much more in keeping with the season. :) But I've just bought three which appear on my list and I'm perfectly happy with not an 'Elf' or 'Home Alone' in sight.

      Delete
  3. Yvette, show me a Laurel & Hardy and I'll see nothing else. We absolutely love the comic antics of this innocent "couple." Personally, I rate them above every comedian I have seen on screen. Buster Keaton would come second. I'd like to see George C. Scott's "A Christmas Carol." Indian cable TV shows some very good films during Christmas and I'm looking forward to catching a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get a chance to see some of my 'faves', Prashant. I love George C. Scott so it was easy enough for me to pick this one for this year's viewing. I also love this Laurel and Hardy Christmas treat which has been a fave around our house since we were kids.

      Delete
  4. I love CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT and try to watch it every year. After all, things must be "hunky-dunky", musn't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Richard. :) I'm looking around for a copy of this one as I haven't seen it in a couple of years. But I just bought: THE THIN MAN, THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER and another copy of THE MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS. So Connecticut will have to wait. :)

      Delete
  5. If anything, you have understated the glory of Menotti's "Amahl," which remains one of my favorite operas. (It's well under an hour, folks. Try it.) I remember taking my then-very-young daughters to a live performance by the Little Orchestra Society, with Menotti in attendance - he introduced it from one of the boxes near the stage. What glorious music - deceptively simple-sounding (and anything but simple). Yes, it does lead to a life-long love of opera. Thanks for reminding me of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to remind you and really anyone who grew up in the fifties of this wonderful television production. Can you imagine anyone broadcasting an opera on network television? It was, if I remember correctly, NBC. I was a kid and quickly fell under 'Amahl's' spell. The music is thrilling. DON'T MISS THIS if you can get your hands on a copy, folks!!!

      How fortunate you and your family were, Les, to get to see Menotti and hear the opera live. What a fabulous memory.

      Delete
  6. Hi Yvette -- I've got a pretty quirky list myself, which includes The 10 Commandments and Samson and Delilah. Neither has anything to do with Christmas, but they have been my must-see list for years. I like most of the ones you talk about (I haven't seen a couple), but I particularly love the George C. Scott Christmas Carol. Ii think it's the best one ever made. Oh, and one more must-see for me -- Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation -- makes me laugh so much I worry about bladder control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to be replying so late, Becky. I simply forgot to double-check. I'm heading over to check out your list - better late than never. I'm glad you love the George C. Scott version - he's so wonderful as Scrooge.

      Delete
  7. Very quirky list indeed, Yvette. I love these two: THE THIN MAN and THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER. I want to see WHITE CHRISTMAS but I agree with you on Bing Crosby. Not my favorite. I do love HOLIDAY INN, for Fred Astaire and the tap dancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched THE THIN MAN again last night and THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER the other night. Such fun. The perfect Christmas treats. :) Also watched THE MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS and sang along with the tunes. I am, as I like to say, incorrigible when it comes to this film.

      Delete
  8. The Man who came to diner was great. and love Geo Scott. well Christmas is knocking at my door and tons of cooking to do.
    Wishing you a Beautiful Christmas Day ---Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am I wrong or did Christmas come extra quickly this year? Jeez. What a whirlwind. Thanks for the good wishes, Yvonne. I wish the same for you and your daughter and friends.

      Delete
  9. In case you're monitoring your blog, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. I love your blog and look forward to your return to the blogging world. Best wishes! Thanks for the list of Christmas movies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're welcome, Joan and thanks so much for your good wishes. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family as well. My Favorite Books of the Year list will be upcoming sometime next week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christmas in Connecticut will always be my favorite Christmas movie. You know I adore The Thin Man as well. I like Lady in the Lake but I don't own it, I'm going to have to try and find it. Have you seen, or do you like, It Happened on 5th Avenue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't remember seeing IT HAPPENED ON 5th AVENUE. Is that with Robert Mitchum and Janet Leigh?

      Delete
  12. No, It's Don DeFore, Ann Harding, Gale Storm, Charles Ruggles, and Victor Moore. And I can;'t forget that Alan Hale, Jr. is in it too.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039502/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bring back such wonderful moments, Laura, loved it, and such a great cast. How I loved Deanna Durban and stanwick and Greenstreet. Golly I am old.
    More #@*&#@* Snow tomorrow. send a warm hug. yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.