Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Tuesday (Not so) Forgotten Film and/or Television: FOYLE'S WAR - Series 8 - Starring Michael Kitchen and Honeysuckle Weeks


I don't know how certain series do it, but do it they do: keep getting better and better, I mean. FOYLE'S WAR is a long running ITV series created by Anthony Horowitz and begun all the way back in 2002. The ambience was, then, the approach to WWII in England followed by the turbulent war years. Lots of policing to be done: murder doesn't stop for war.


The indescribably wonderful Michael Kitchen (where do the Brits come up with these intriguing actors?) stars as Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle, a widower, a decent man, and a stalwart, intuitive and very canny cop, whose territory, in the earlier series, is the green countryside of Hastings, Sussex, England. (You know how the hedgerows of England fairly reek with murder and chicanery.)

Honeysuckle Weeks, Anthony Howell and Michael Kitchen

Honeysuckle Weeks (she of the adorable name and equally adorable mien) also returns as Foyle's young driver and kind of, sort of, fellow cop. In the earlier series, Foyle had an associate, a wounded vet played by Anthony Howell, but so far he doesn't seem to be in the new series 8, currently available on Netflix.

Hadn't even realized the series had returned until recently and now it seems that there's another three episodes in the works for next year. Great news for Foyle Fan Girls (of which I am one).

It's 1946 and the fighting war is technically over, but as one of the characters pronounces, '...now the real war begins.' Meaning of course, the cut-throat espionage, reconstruction and the Soviet menace. As Sam says in one scene "We did win the war didn't we?" She's exasperated by bread rationing and other economic privations, but the question speaks volumes about life in this 'new' England.

Foyle has been roped in (reluctantly) to serve with MI5 who recognize Foyle's intuitive genius for this sort of work - even if he is a bit of a loose cannon. In the meantime, Samantha has married a nice young man who is running for local government. But when Foyle, in the course of his first case with the intelligence agency (a case which hits very close to home), meets up with Sam once again - as a suspect -  she is soon back in her old role at Foyle's side.


Spies are everywhere in this often bleak, post war England and now it's up to Foyle and MI5 to settle their hash and keep the country safe from communism. The country couldn't be in better hands.

Since it's Tuesday, don't forget to check in at Todd's blog, Sweet Freedom (he's running a little late today) to see what other films, television and/or whatnot other bloggers are talking about today.

A bit off youtube about Michael Kitchen in his role as Foyle:

26 comments:

  1. Yvette,

    Foyle's War has been a long-time favorite of mine. Michael Kitchen is great. He also makes a very chilling villain. I'm looking forward to No. 8. I hope it doesn't stop when it hits double digits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Fred. But he is 65. I'm thinking he can go another five or six years. :) I love these post-war episodes.

      Delete
  2. Yvette, you had me at "Honeysuckle Weeks," and I'm already interested! This sounds like my kind of show; thanks for the tip, pal, and warmest wishes to you and your dear family! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she's fabulous, Dorian. :) Well, with a name like that she'd have to be. Can you imagine this marquee: Starring Honeysuckle Weeks and Benedict Cumberbatch. HA! Love it.

      Delete
  3. I love this series and everything about it, especially Michael Kitchen and Honeysuckle Weeks. (I saw her in another PBS show and she was the villain and I could not believe it! Blew my mind.)

    I think I like the earlier episodes that took place during WWII, but I surely enjoyed the post-war episodes, too. Foyle is still calm, cool and collected -- and brilliant.

    This is my favorite BBC/PBS detective series. I think I'll take some of the dvd's out of the library during my reading/dvd summer days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that show, Kathy - where she played the villain. She was good. Really creepy. I liked the very early Foyle episodes and these current post war ones best, I think. But I may decide to watch the entire series in one fell swoop one of these days.

      Delete
  4. Yvette,

    I'm hoping for another decade or so. I've already watched them twice through. In another year or so, I just might go through them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's time for me to rewatch. They're currently Netflix available, but not for streaming. I will definitely be watching the new episodes. No date yet though. I don't even know if they're in production.

      Delete
  5. Yvette, this is a new series for me though Michael Kitchen rings a bell. I have generally liked British serials and have seen many of them, especially sitcoms of the 70s and 80s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love this I'm sure, Prashant. Can you get them in your neck of the woods? It's a long running series so it should be available. I hope so anyway.

      Delete
    2. I doubt it, Yvette, but there's no harm in looking. I've definitely not seen it on cable TV yet.

      Delete
    3. Oh, do look, Prashant. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

      Delete
  6. I don't know, sounds tempting: A Foyle's War marathon, iced tea, iced coffee, frozen yogurt, chips, fruit, close door, shut off phone, don't answer emails -- and watch and enjoy. My kind of vacation these days.

    Spend it in the Channel Islands? Fine. Free, no passport needed, no expensive air flights or hotels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The newer episodes take place in London. I'm assuming that's where they're filmed. I do like them a lot. There's just something about Michael Kitchen - he seems to 'center' every scene he's in. He has presence.

      Delete
  7. This is a great series. I adore Michael Kitchen, although I have a hard time remembering his name. I hope it has many more seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that, Tracy. Many more seasons. But who knows? Well, so far, at least it seems we'll have FOYLE'S WAR 9.

      Delete
  8. I started watching this series at it's first showing on PBS in the States. My college aged daughter, an art major, wandered in, looking ready to roll her eyes at some old fashioned show we were watching. She lingered. And lingered. And then sat down. From then on she was hooked. A number of years later she works at a WWII museum and knows so much about that era. She is especially proud of her grandfather (my Dad), a Russian who served in the Polish RAF in England during the war and met my mother there, in Nottingham, after which, I was born in the post war years when the latest Foyle episodes take place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valya you really do seem to have a nice family link with Foyle's War. :) It sounds as if your dad was a hero and on top of all that, he met his bride as well.

      I watched Foyle from the beginning as well but later lost track of a couple of the shows. (Why was Foyle in America, for instance? I realize it had to do with the FBI, but?) I realize now I have some catch-up to do.

      Delete
  9. Even though I like the post-war episodes, my favorites are those set in the Channel Islands during the war.

    And Michael Kitchen does have presence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Presence with a CAPITAL P!! :) He is a delightful actor.

      Delete
  10. Really enjoyed your post Yvette - I am, I think, very much in a minority as I have never been able to really get in sync with this show despite the interesting themes and fine casts - I'm not really a fan of Horowitz if truth be told, but the whole family think I just have a massve blindspot about his work, so maybe one day I shall see the light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A definite blindspot, Sergio. You need to forget Horowitz and concentrate on Kitchen. :) That's the light.

      Delete
  11. I find the Cold War episodes even more gripping than the WWII shows, and I wouldn't have thought that possible.

    Possibly because the loyalties and villainies are more murky.

    It's all super excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whatever the year or location, Kitchen is definitely the center of all the action. He does have presence, and is definitely a leading man who is calm, smart and decisive. That, and he is a caring and humane demeanor, including as Foyle.

    Now, I love Honeysuckle Weeks, too. I just read an interview with her from two years ago when she was bringing her baby to the set. She is very unlike her character in Foyle's War, much more carefree and unconventional, which shows how well she portrays the character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And knows what the camera will make of him. He's a total pro.The more I think about it, the more I think I'll go back and watch the earlier shows - Fall will be the perfect time.

      Delete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.