Thursday, July 24, 2014

DICKENS IN LUST: THE INVISIBLE WOMAN (2013) starring Ralph Fiennes and Felicity Jones.


THE INVISIBLE WOMAN is a film directed by Ralph Fiennes with a screenplay by Abi Morgan, starring Ralph Fiennes and Felicity Jones and is based on the book of the same name by Claire Tomalin. It seemed the kind of period Victorian thing I'd probably like. The film centers on the story of how Charles Dickens, rightly beloved by all and sundry for his brilliant literary gifts, behaved caddishly towards his wife (she'd dared put on weight after giving birth to ten children in 22 years - horrors!), caused a public separation (scandalous in those tight-laced Victorian times) by 'carrying on' with an eighteen year old girl who would later become his mistress for the rest of the aging author's life.

Or so the story goes. Of course we weren't there and much of the correspondence was burned by those involved so who knows what really happened.

Felicity Jones and Ralph Fiennes - source

The film, directed by Ralph Fiennes is a major disappointment and you know how I love to write about Major Disappointments.  Hence, today's post to call attention to a film I'm NOT recommending. (I'm quirky that way.)

To be fair, there are one or two well done moments: One is the racing scene, the grouping (and costumes) of which is apparently based on a painting by the British genre artist, William Powell Frith.

'Derby Day' by William Powell Frith (Detail) - source

The second scene is the wrenching train wreck in which Dickens is forced by the strictures of convention to maintain he is traveling alone even as Nelly lies hurt at his feet. Not a proud moment.

The film's costumes and sets are, of course, perfection (the Brits excel at this) and the actors are pretty good except for one thing: Felicity Jones in the lead playing Nelly Ternan - The Woman. She is actually invisible, that is, she is so boring, so bland, so self-effacing, so laid back, so pale, so...yes, dare I say it? - so INVISIBLE! (Sad to say, the camera doesn't love her.) Well, okay, in keeping with the symbolic title of the film, you might say that that was the director's point. (Dickens did keep his personal drama behind the scenes as much as possible in those scandal loving/scandal abhorring days. Mistresses were not the sort of thing one generally paraded about in public.)

'the invisible woman' Felicity Jones as Nelly Ternan - source

But to make the woman such a non-entity beggars the point of what Dickens saw in her to begin with. (Yes, yes, actresses then had to be self-effacing and fearful of their reputations since they were regarded as little more than prostitutes.) But ladies and gents: what about this particular woman turned the elderly genius on? Merely the fact that she was young and thin and his wife was fat? Maybe. Wouldn't be the first time. Certainly there was nothing about Nelly's personality (as shown in the film) which would cause a man of a certain age to flaunt convention, create scandal and fall madly in love -  even if he was close friends with scandal-prone fellow author Wilkie Collins. (A tale for another day.)

You know as well as I that most Victorians were one thing in public and quite another behind closed doors - but it's hard to imagine - I really can't conjure it up - Charles Dickens in bed with anyone. Come on, try it - see if you can do it. That's one of the film's problems as well.

And yet the man had ten children, at least. So there is that to ponder on if we must.

But the fact is that some stories are better left to the imagination - or not, as the case may be. This is definitely one of them.

To paraphrase an old Victorian chestnut: I don't care what people do behind closed doors as long as they don't do it in the street and scare the horses.

Yeah, I'm down with that.

Have you seen this film? Do we agree or disagree? Come on, speak up. I can take it.


P.S. I haven't read the book. Source

25 comments:

  1. Another scintillating and scathing film review by Yvette! A hoot!

    I cannot imagine Charles Dickens having an affair with anyone, even his own spouse! And, now I'm fired up about his being arrogant about his spouse gaining weight after having 10 children! Yes, 10! How horrible sexist of him, not to mention the much younger mistress.

    I shan't be seeing this film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Was I scathing? Didn't really mean to be. It wasn't a terrible film, just boring. Actually Dickens doesn't mention his wife's weight, it's just visually made apparent. The actress playing his wife, by the way, is splendidly heartbreaking.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen this one yet (and will I ever now after your excoriating review?) though let's face it, compared with Wilkie Collins, Dickens was a paragoin of Vicorian rectitutde! Shamne though as this sounds like such an interesting film (or do you have a thing about beards Yvette, be honest now ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It DID sound like a most interesting film, Sergio. I was so looking forward to seeing it. Hence my major disappointment. I love Ralph Fiennes! And yet...You should see it though and form your own opinion. You might like the film. Either/or, you should review it. I'd love to know what you think of it.

      Delete
  3. Yvette, I'd no idea about this biopic and in spite of being a "disappointment" I'd like to see it if only to find out how Ralph Fiennes appears as Charles Dickens. Besides, I like Victorian period movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely see it, Prashant. I never mean to turn anyone off any film I don't like. Everyone views things differently. We're not sheep after all. Ha. I'd love to know what you think of it too.

      Delete
  4. Love the comment about the street and scaring horses.
    Haven't even heard of this film, I will have to see it. Sounds like a great story. Lately I am so disappointed with the films. They have so much (fill -in-the time) spots. Boring. I like fast moving stories, that get to the point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely NOT a fast-moving story, Yvonne. I don't think you'd like it. But what the heck, as I like to say: See it anyway. Who knows? You might love it.

      Delete
  5. Golly did I publish that comment" another Senior moment. yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read the book either and am not likely to as I have no interest in Charles Dickens. However, a Victorian-set movie might have enticed me, Dickens or no.Thanks for the highly enjoyable heads-up, Yvette. I will definitely give this a pass. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't go by my likes and dislikes too much, Debbie. Just because I didn't enjoy the movie doesn't mean you won't. Everyone's taste varies so much, especially when it comes to costume drama of this sort.

      Delete
  7. Too bad--on the surface, this movie looks like it has *everything* going for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. This was one I thought would be a re-watch classic type thing. Sigh. Imagine my disappointment. I think it's entirely possible that Felicity Jones looks like one thing in reality and quite another on film. But would a seasoned actor director make such a mistake? At any rate, see the film and judge for yourself. This is only one woman's opinion. :)

      Delete
  8. I also disliked this movie. I absolutely could not stand watching Felicity Jones. Was there ever a duller performance on film? I can't think of one. I wanted more of Kristin Scott-Thomas as her mother. The only scenes I enjoyed were those showing how Collins and Dickens put on their plays. I don't know how Fiennes managed to make Dickens come off as a quasi-pedophile but that's what I came away with after watching this movie. I never believed they were in love for a minute. He seemed like a dirty old man-skirt chaser. She seemed repelled by him. Until he died and then she's suddenly wearing black dresses and carrying a torch. Big thumbs down from me for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked those early scenes as well, John. The 'putting on of the show' stuff. I always want more of Kristin Scott-Thomas - how this woman is not a SUPER STAR is beyond me. I didn't get the quasi-pedophile vibe from Fiennes, but I get what you mean. I never believed they were in love either. Nope. No spark. No electricity. No nothing. And what was all that walking on the beach thing at the beginning? I mean, give it a rest.

      Delete
  9. Yeah for Kristin Scott-Thomas. The French film of her as a former prisoner readjusting to life outside the walls is quite something. The reasons for her actions are quite astounding. Sorry I can't remember the film's name, but that's how it is -- woman of a certain age (non)memory.

    But it was a great performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that always the way? I have to use google or imdb to jog my memory when movie minutiae stored in my ancient mind disappears. :) I wish Scott Thomas had made wiser decisions re: her movie roles. But what there is is still pretty good.

      Delete
  10. The movie I was thinking of is "I Have Loved You so Much." Scott-Thomas is amazing in it.

    There's also "Tell No One," a French movie of a Harlan Coben book; in my opinion, it's much better than the book. Scott-Thomas has a minor role, but she's still good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just this this and wanted to post the link here as it's fabulous and hilarious: Terrific Australian crime fiction writer, Angela Savage, interviewing Alexander McCall Smith recently. Her questions are
    very good, and his answers -- well, he enjoys talking and elaborating on his writing and characters. And he is just flat-out hilarious.

    http://wheelercentre.com/videos/video/alexander-mccall-smith/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the Scott-Thomas info, Kathy. I have tried to watch TELL NO ONE, but just couldn't get into it. Disliked the book as well. But I'll give the other film a looksee. At any rate, I love Alexander McCall-Smith. I'll check out the interview for sure. I love a man who can speak about intelligent things in a funny way. My kind of humor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. McCall Smith is funny, and he really enjoys his books and characters. He talks a lot about Bertie and his own comments about his writing is just so funny. He could be a one-person program at an event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can tell from his writing that he's having a good time.

      Delete
  14. This is not the first review I've come across that wasn't fond of this movie. I'm even thinking the piece I listened to on NPR wasn't to keen on it either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always doubly disappointed when a movie I'M EXPECTING to be good, isn't. Know what I mean?

      Delete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.