Sunday, August 22, 2010

History Tidbits

Today is a daily-double day. Well, double birthday, anyway. Dorothy Parker satirical author, social critic, screenwriter, poet and sharp-eyed, smart mouth, of men don't make passes at girls who wear glasses fame, was born in West End, New Jersey. Date: 1893. She turned 70 in 1963 and quipped, "If I had any decency I'd be dead. Most of my friends are."

Science fiction great, author Ray Bradbury (The Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451) was also born today. In Waukegan, Ill. Date: 1920. "Librarians raised me. I don't believe in colleges and universities. I believe in libraries because most students don't have any money. When I graduated from high school, it was during the Depression and we had no money. I couldn't go to college so I went to the library three days a week for ten years." It worked for him.

Happy Birthday, Ms. Parker and Mr. Bradbury.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear after I take a look.