Friday, June 23, 2017

Friday Forgotten (or Overlooked) Book WAY STATION (1963) by Clifford D. Simak


I am a fan of science fiction super-wonder Connie Willis and I loved SLEEPING GIANTS (though not the second book in the trilogy which I found unreadable) by Sylvain Neuvel and THE FOLD by Peter Clines and THE LAST POLICEMAN trilogy which despite its starkly dystopian outlook is still mesmerizing and last but not least, I also enjoyed Stephen King's 11/22/63. I also like China Mieville's work though I think he is more a magical realism guy than a science fiction guy.

Despite this, I'm not much of a regular science fiction reader and know little about the stars of the genre and their bibliographies. I am not especially taken with plots filled with aliens and the inherent bizarre drama of other worlds except, actually, in movie form. But having said that, I'm not immune to a good book with an intriguing storyline either.

So when WAY STATION was recently made available on Kindle, I decided why not? I liked the overall plot idea and decided this would be my first Clifford D. Simak experience.

The book is an abundance of riches almost too much to take in at one reading. While the story is not difficult or full of exotic alien science too convoluted to follow or even imagine, there is still much to consider. The ambience of WAY STATION - despite some violence - has a certain gentleness while at the same time the plot dazzles with ideas.

Enoch Wallace is a modern day recluse. He is an American Civil War veteran who lives in a cabin in the woods which, unbeknownst to his mid-western neighbors, harbors alien teleportation machinery. He is immortal so long as he stays put in the impregnable cabin (and only goes outside for short periods of time) and continues his work which is that of earth's only caretaker of an intergalactic way station. As they planet hop from one deep space locality to another, alien travelers use earth as a sort of pit stop.

'Traveling' is a bit of a misnomer, since the creatures doing said 'traveling' don't actually make the journey - his or her outer shell dies at the point of origin and it is the 'travelers' data which is collected and teleported to the next destination then reassembled in original form.This isn't gone into in much detail, but it would seem a good way to disregard the actual logistics of light years long space travel. If you don't mind being dead and 'reborn' and being dead and 'reborn' as you move around space. Obviously one questions the very idea of the soul's purpose in these re-configured life forms - does it survive the teleportation or did it not exist in the first place?

It is a lonely existence as aliens move on from the way station never really staying long - occasionally one makes a connection with Enoch, but most don't. To them, he is just a caretaker, a necessary fixture. Once in a while, his old friend Ulysses drops by to chat and/or check on things and make sure everything is running smoothly. This is the alien who back in the 19th century chose Enoch to be the keeper of the way station. (Ulysses is the name Enoch gave him.)

Sometimes the alien travelers leave artifacts from their home worlds for the caretaker (with or without explanation as to what the artifact does). Though Enoch has made it his business to learn a few of the interstellar dialects, he can't be expected to know them all. Grateful for these 'souvenirs,' Enoch keeps his singular collection about him - items of wonder and intellectual surmise.

Earthlings are unaware of the way station and of Enoch's immortality, though his neighbors do notice that he never seems to age. Only the postman, Winslow, has an inkling. He's one of the very few humans Enoch interacts with.

Okay, so that's the basic set-up - I would have been happy just to read more and more about Enoch's duties and the aliens which he meets. But this book was first published in two parts in Galaxy Magazine in 1963 and maybe that's the reason for all the plot twists and turns - enough to fill up five volumes let alone two. It's almost as if the author couldn't decide what to leave out so he didn't.

A random sample of what goes on:

There are two invisible-to-everyone-but-himself 'friends' - a man and woman - who show up now and then when Enoch is especially worried or lonely - 'fairies or wraiths' he has conjured up with the help of an artifact. But to his chagrin, the lonely Enoch has fallen in love with the image of the woman and she with him, though their 'romance' is not to be - he cannot touch her and she cannot touch him. This plot line could have been left out of the book and none the wiser - it really doesn't add much to the story.

In addition there's a deaf young sprite of a girl who lives on the farm down the road with an abusive father and ignorant relations. She is known to keep to herself and Enoch has often seen her work small wonders - watched her heal a butterfly whose wing was crushed. For her 'other-wordliness' she is misunderstood and abused by her family. Enoch seems to be the only person she trusts instinctively.

Then there's the 'shooting rage' which Enoch goes to when he needs target practice - a hologram world which has been set up for him by the aliens who run the way station so that Enoch can practice his rifle skills by killing alien monsters on alien worlds.

Also there's a government agent who is lurking about in town at the moment, incognito. He is investigating Enoch and reporting back to Washington.

Then there's....see what I mean?

There is so much packed into this book that you can't figure out what's what until nearly the end when a large rat from outer space shows up at the way station and runs off into the night. Enoch has to go in pursuit since the rat has, in his hairy clutches, a mystical object which prevents war and benefits all lifeforms who are attuned to it. It is an object of reverence which has been lost for generations and for which Ulysses and his federation cohorts have been searching all over the galaxy for years.

And oh by the way, a few days before, Ulysses had dropped by to inform Enoch that he was in some danger of having the way station shut down because of an ancient alien custom which Enoch has unwittingly ignored and which he must now set to rights.

Not to mention, that the townspeople are being whipped into a frenzy by the deaf girl's father and plan to attack the cabin.

LOTS to think about in this story, lots to absorb, lots for the imagination to take in. As I said, more than enough for many books - possibly a trilogy. Well, still, WAY STATION won the Hugo Award in 1964. So I must be in the minority.

But in truth, I enjoyed the book for its old fashioned sense of right and wrong and the whole idea of morality and honor under pressure. I liked how several plot lines do resolve themselves in the end and most of all, I liked Enoch Wallace. Ulysses made a wise choice when he picked this earthling to man the way station.

Since this is Friday, don't forget to check in at author Patricia Abbott's blog, Pattinase, to see what other forgotten or overlooked books other bloggers are talking about today.


18 comments:

  1. i read a lot of Simak in my salad years and grew to admire his writing a lot... as you said, he has a gentle approach that is quite attractive; tx for the post... and the memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Mudpuddle. :) I'm going to read more of Simak's work, I think.

      Delete
  2. Sounds fascinating.

    I have a lot of titles stacking up for when I finish Our Mutual Friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was - very different from my usual fare. :) I've been meaning to read some Dickens for a great long while and somehow I never do. But I really do intend to.

      Delete
  3. If you feel like trying some more from Simak, I'd suggest CITY and TIME AND AGAIN.

    It's indicative of how sf written by "newsstand" (magazine-oriented) writers built on each other's work would be the degree that Simak might've been nudged along in his thinking by how this sort of dematerializing and rematerializing was handled in Algis Budrys's 1959 novel ROGUE MOON (publisher's title...Budrys preferred THE DEATH MACHINE). And STAR TREK transporters probably owed a little to both.

    Simak was hugely influential in the sf field. Isaac Asimov cited him, for example, as the writer he most sought to emulate when he started out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CITY is on my list, Todd. I'll add TIME AND AGAIN and then we'll see. I had not heard of Simak until I saw him recommended in BOOK LUST by Nancy Pearl. Didn't he do a book based on Jane Eyre but in outer space? I love the whole idea of transporters - so fascinating.

      Delete
    2. I think you might enjoy the satirical as well as other aspects of ROGUE MOON, as well.

      I'm not sure I know of a Simak story that can be described as Space Bronte, but I can poke around...

      Delete
    3. I probably got the name of the author mixed up then, it's somewhere in BOOK LUST. I like Nancy Pearl's recommendations on anything and everything - she is usually right on the money.

      ROGUE MOON is going on my list. :)

      Delete
  4. This sounds amazing - been so long since I read anything by Simak. Brilliant - thanks so much Yvette :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Sergio. Thank you. If you do get around to reading Simak I'll look forward to your review.

      Delete
  5. I don't have a great memory for intricate plots but I still remember most of the details of Way Station, even though I haven't read it in at least thirty years. I agree with you that the imaginary friends subplot adds nothing to the story.

    I have read much more of Simak's short fiction than his novels. He also won Hugos for two short stories, "The Big Front Yard" and "The Grotto of the Dancing Deer." "Grotto" also won science fiction's other major award, the Nebula. I don't personally like "Grotto" as much as many of his other stories but that is obviously a very minority opinion. My favorite of Simak's short stories that I have read is "A Death in the House." That story and "The Big Front Yard" are exactly what I think of as being typical Simak - gentle stories about rural life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look for these stories, Steve. I'm new to Simak, but I like the enthusiasm of his fans. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. I have not read anything by Simak, but your review definitely has me intrigued. I have read science fiction, but not a lot recently. I will look out for this book. My son always goes through the science fiction and fantasy area at the book sale very carefully, so he can help me look for this book and others suggested here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try, Tracy. I like to keep some sort of open mind about reading unfamiliar things. Though of course, there are 'places' I won't go. :)

      Delete
  7. Gonna hafta lie down now for a moment, before my head explodes. Gadzooks, Yvette, what a plot! Or is it plots? Amazing. I'd not known of Simak, and unless I have some strong medication I'm not sure I should try him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh pish posh, Mathew. You read way weirder stuff. HA!

      Delete
  8. Yvette,

    Good sympathetic review. Simak's works generally fall into the gentle category, and those looking for blood and gore aliens will be disappointed by him. I've read a number of his novels and short stuff, but not in a long time. Perhaps it's time to dig out my copy of Way Station.

    And, I would second Todd Mason's suggestion of City. It's a great one, especially for dog lovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fred. I will definitely be reading CITY. I wish I liked short stories more but maybe I'll give those a try at some point.

      Delete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.