Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Forgotten Film: SO LONG AT THE FAIR (1950) starring Jean Simmons and Dirk Bogarde.


Thanks to Vienna whose comment and movie expertise comes at the perfect time, I've learned that SO LONG AT THE FAIR, one of my all time favorite movies, is currently running on youtube. And in the interest of spreading joy wherever, wherever I can, I've embedded the link and you can watch the movie here or at youtube. But you know how this goes, you have to move quickly before the movie is stricken from the site and disappears again.

SO LONG AT THE FAIR stars a very young and very beautiful Jean Simmons and an equally young and beautiful Dirk Bogarde. I first saw this on television once upon a time in my youth and knew instantly, even as a kid, that this was a very special movie. I watched it as often as it was on.

Then to my horror, the film simply disappeared from view for many MANY years. I'd even begun to think it was lost forever.

And now, thanks to Vienna, to find that it's available after all, well, m'dears, I am staggered with delight. But I'm not waiting for next Tuesday's Forgotten Film, etc. meme to recommend it, oh no, it might be gone by then and then where would we be?

So here it is for your enjoyment and don't say I never gave you anything:

6 comments:

  1. It took a while for David Tomlinson to grow into his ears, didn't it?

    If you are in the mood for and can't find "So Long at the Fair" try looking for "The Big Valley: The Disappearance" from season 3.

    I'll never say you never gave me anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Tomlinson? I did find the film, Pat. Loved seeing it again after so many years. I'll look for that episode too. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I do like the movie (and a nice adjunct to the Carr adaptation, which was his variation on the Paris Expo story). But yeah, it's there illegally, so probably not for long ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least I got to see it again. In fact, if it's still around tomorrow, I'm going to watch it again. It's just as good as I remembered it.

      Delete
  3. It's also on Amazon Prime. I haven't seen it in years and plan to watch it. Even knowing the mystery's outcome, it works remarkably well. A terrific cast, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wonderful cast, Rick. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.