Friday, May 22, 2015

Forgotten Book: SHEIKS AND ADDERS (1982) by Michael Innes


I am very fond of Michael Innes' Inspector Appleby series of mysteries - some entries more than others. I am also very fond of Michael Innes other writings though I've only read a few of the non-Appleby books (of those I HIGHLY recommend FROM LONDON FAR, as far as I'm concerned a rollicking (and brilliant) satire of adventure thrillers). 

All of Innes' writing is drenched with literary bon-mots, some wittier than others, some more obscure than others. Obviously the author assumes you have had at least two or three years reading English Lit. at Oxford or Cambridge. Still, I love the books and to my surprise, I often do know what Innes is talking about. 

Michael Innes, despite (or because of) his literary leanings is, occasionally, given to bouts of story-telling whimsy and the delightful result this time out is SHEIKS AND ADDERS (gotta' LOVE that title!), a froth of a book, moreso because of its relentless fairy tale aspects: imagine Sir John Appleby (retired head of the Metropolitan Police) disguised as Robin Hood and plunked down in the middle of a country fete/masquerade (?) where too many guests are disguised as Arabian sheiks. Imagine that the only reason Appleby is at this fete is because he's overheard a bit of conversation a day or so before and has decided to see what's what. Why? Oh, just because he can.

You know how it goes at these English country fetes - there's ALWAYS a murder. I mean, it's almost de regueur. I don't know about you, but if I lived in England, I'd avoid these annual events like the plague. There's more going on at these seemingly harmless parochial celebrations than just quoits and skittles and 'guess the weight of the cake'.  (You Graham Greene fans will get that one, I hope.)

At Drool Court (the unlikely name of the estate where the fete takes place) Appleby runs across his old friend Tommy Pride, Chief Constable of the area, who has been asked by the foreign office to keep an eye on things. Why? Just in case. In case of what? Pride doesn't know. The foreign office won't reveal details. Being observant, Appleby can't help but notice that Pride is also dressed as Robin Hood. So there you are, two Robin Hoods and a bunch of sheiks wandering around. Confusion to the enemy! Characters in search of a mystery. The fun is just beginning.

Since there is a real sheik mixed in among the phonies, an Emir Hafrait who scorns police protection (it offends his sense of dignity) and wanders about the fete pretty much on his own, can murder be far behind? 

When one of the masquerading sheiks is found with an arrow through his back, the real sheik finally realizes that his enemies mean business. Not wanting to cause a panic, the two representatives (and a few local bobbies) of the law must investigate the case without alerting the crowd to the fact that there is a murderer loose among them.

Despite the well-intentioned obstruction of the quirky (is there any other kind?) family that owns Drool Court, Appleby and Pride will navigate through an entanglement of characters - among them a sinister bunch of chanting Druids hired to perform an ancient rite, a Herpetologist whose collection of snakes must come in handy (well, you knew there had to be snakes somewhere in the plot), a troop of boisterous boy scouts, a drunken hot air balloonist, and a lovely young heroine whose thwarted love life must be straightened out in time for a happy ending. 

Though this Appleby has mostly negative reviews online, I loved it. I love what Appleby is doing here and I suppose that means that I can tolerate whimsy more than most. This is a fun book not really meant to be taken seriously, so if you want to quibble about the nonesensical plot, coincidences that stretch believability and other random incredulities, than just don't read it.

As I said: I loved it. 

The NY Times original review. Obviously they do not like their mysteries loaded with wit and whimsy. This review has a lovely sneering quality to it that made me laugh. Hence its inclusion in my post.

This post is part of the Friday Forgotten Books meme hosted by Patti Abbott at her blog, Pattinase. A meme in which I only occasionally take part because I'm old and doddering and busy with the realities of day-to-day life, some pleasant, some not so.

Link to Michael Innes Fantastic Fiction page which lists all his books.

14 comments:

  1. Yvette,

    Perhaps this is a stretch but this reminds me of one of the early Midsomer Murders plots, if you are familiar with the TV series. I haven't read anything, that I can remember, by Michael Innes, but he does sound like a lot of fun to read.

    Have you ever played the game? Does it have anything to do with the game or is it just a clever title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a stretch, Fred. I don't see the connection. But maybe I missed that episode. I did a binge viewing of Midsomer Murders a while back - up until the original guys were replaced. That was it for me. :)

    I play Chutes and Ladders with my granddaughter. Occasionally. :) The book has nothing to do with the game except for the play on the title - that I can see anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yvette,

    I hadn't heard that the game was renamed. I always knew it under the original name of Snakes and Ladders.

    I just gave up on Midsomer Murders also, for the same reason.

    What I was trying, ineffectively as it turned out, to say was that the sense of whimsey and slightly offbeat characters seemed, to me anyway, to be similar. How that "one of the early MM plots" got in there, I have no idea. What I meant was that the tone of the early MM plots seemed similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's right. The game is known as Chutes and Ladders here. Don't remember ever seeing Snakes and Ladders. Of course, that's the title that Innes was fooling with. Innes is a very literary mystery writer that's why I think he would appeal to you, Fred. He has fun with language and very often the whole genre. As with all writers, not all his books are gems, but those that are, are wonderful.

      Delete
    2. Yvette,

      Well, I shall add him to my ever expanding, never shrinking TBR list.

      Delete
  4. I had to go look through my books and I do have this one. I have read many of the Appleby books, once upon a time, and I remember liking them. It surprises me now that I did, because I don't see myself as liking whimsey or getting the references. Anyway this one sounds good and I will pull out my copy and try to read it before too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a chance, Tracy. It's a nonsensical book, but that's the fun of it. At least it was for me.

      Delete
  5. You enthusiasm makes all the difference Yvette (because I am usually a bit allergic to the Innes whimsy) - been ages since I read anything by him in fact. Off to inspect the TBR - excuse me, but I may be quite some time ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I discovered Innes late in life and good for me. I probably wouldn't have liked him if discovered any earlier. I find that the books of his I love I REALLY LOVE. I'll be writing about another of his that I ran across and (also loaded with Innes whimsy, soon: THE OPEN HOUSE.) At any rate, wait till you're a little older, Sergio. You may come to appreciate certain writers more once your hair goes gray. :)

      Delete
  6. I have enjoyed Innes for years, although not lately. Maybe it is time to revisit some Appleby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it's time. :) I never seem to tire of these sorts of tales.

      Delete
  7. Yvette, you know I never have as much time for reading and novels as I'd like, but SHEIKS AND ADDERS sure sound tempting -- ever the titles got me grinning! Thanks for the tip, my friend, and have a great holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for an enjoyable review Yvette. Ages since I read Innes but now I want to read him once again (was it OPERATION PAX that put me off him?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Neer. Thanks for dropping by. I'm lately doing a bit of re-reading myself. Today it's APPLEBY'S END which is also very enjoyable. I don't know OPERATION PAX? I'll avoid it?

      Delete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.