Friday, August 29, 2014

FFB: DEATH OF JEZEBEL (1948) by Christianna Brand


Since John over at Pretty Sinister Books raves about this particular Brand book and I'd never read it, and since a hard copy of DEATH OF JEZEBEL is difficult to come by without shelling out big bucks, I went ahead and ordered it from audio.com (I joined a while back) and boy am I glad I did.

Yes John, you were absolutely right. This is an ultra-FABULOUS book. I'm not sure it's the best of Brand but close enough. I think I still like SUDDENLY AT HIS RESIDENCE just a teensy bit more. But why quibble. Both books are extraordinarily good.

Christianna Brand is the Queen of Multiple Endings, but in DEATH OF A JEZEBEL she reaches for the stratosphere of multiple endings. Wow. But rather than detract from the thing (or add their own makeshift tedium) as some of these tricky endings do, in Brand's book they just add more and more dazzle to the whodunit atmosphere. Just when you think: AHA! Another clever ending presents itself. Surprise! To me it was obvious that Brand was having a bit of fun with the reader. But when you're a genius you can get away with this sort of thing.

An English pageant, knights in armor, horses, a princess in a tower, a cozy cast of intriguing characters, a locked room murder in full view of Inspector Cockrill (in London for a conference but missing is regular stomping grounds, Kent, where everyone knows who he is and treats him accordingly) and a large audience. The perfect crime? We shall soon find out that where Inspector Cockrill is concerned, no crime is too bizarre or too convoluted to solve.

Isabel Drew (the erstwhile 'princess in the tower' waiting up there to make her pageant entrance on cue) is the 'jezebel' in the title. Bitter, beautiful and bitchy, Isabel thinks nothing of dabbling in a spot of opportunistic blackmail. A clever woman who's been around the block a few times, she is no longer in the first flower of youth and knows her days and nights of opportunity are numbered. A careless sort, Isabel is utterly self-absorbed and oblivious to the feelings of others.

Seven years before, Drew and a male friend participated in a sordid event which led to the suicide of Johnny Wise, a young and impressionable British flyer visiting London from his home base of Malaysia - or as Isabel insists on referring to the place, 'the malaise'. Also involved in the sad affair was the equally young and impressionable Perpetua Kirk (known as Pepi) who was Johnny's fiancee.

Now with World War II finally over, it seems that the past has reached out, determined to seek vengeance for the terrible death of a fair-haired boy whom everyone loved.

When threatening notes are discovered, Pepi asks her old friend Inspector Cockrill to take a hand. She invites him to attend a rather preposterous pageant planned by some of her acquaintances. "Ah, the British and their pageants." mutters Cockrill. But he likes Pepi and wishes she'd get over the events which blighted her life seven years before.

What follows is not only a mystifying locked room murder staged in front of a large crowd of spectators - none of whom sees anything worth noting - but a nasty be-heading as well. Ah, the British and their juicy Golden Age murders.

I'm a sucker for this sort of thing.

My unabridged audio version was beautifully narrated by Derek Perkins.

While Patti Abbott is away from her desk, Evan Lewis will be collecting links at his blog Davy Crockett's Almanack. Don't forget to take a look to see what other forgotten or overlooked books other bloggers are talking about today.


12 comments:

  1. And this would be other Brand book for that era I need to read - my TBR thanks you Yvette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, kiddo. :) I loved it on audio if you're so inclined.

      Delete
  2. Wow! An audio book? This book used to be ridiculously difficult to find. I'm glad it's now much easier to buy a copy. So glad you broke down, spent the dough and enjoyed it. Do I ever steer you wrong? (Well, we won't mention that book by G.M. Malliett you hated.)

    This oddly was the very first Brand novel I read and because 1. it took me forever to finally find and buy a copy and 2. it was the first I guess it'll always be my favorite. It's strange and vicious and often very funny. I love it and I think it's one of the most ingenious impossible crime novels written. Sometimes she beat John Dickson Carr at his own game. DEATH OF JEZEBEL certainly is bizarre. And the multiple solutions truly are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of surprised myself that it was available. Lots of oldies seem to readily available as audio books. I'm sifting through a bunch of them that's why I keep paying the monthly fee. To me, it's worth it. At least for now. My first Brand book was GREEN FOR DANGER so I had a good start as well.

      The endings in this one are pure abracadabra. Ha.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you liked this one, Yvette - it really is one of Brand's best (though I think "Green for Danger" remains my favorite). I really enjoyed the byplay between Cocky and Inspector Charlesworth, too - and you are so right about the ending of the book. It's available as an ebook too, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know that an e-book is available, Les. But I do enjoy listening to my audios. :) Another favorite of ours, Michel Innes, is pretty well represented on audio.com as well. I love listening to his books almost more than reading them outright.

      Delete
  4. Brand was born in Malaya (now Malaysia) and am curious to know how she has presented a character from that place.

    Thanks for an interesting review, as always, Yvette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the story takes place in London and Malaysia is only mentioned as the place Johnny Wise is from, along with his family. They do mention the Japanese attack there during the war. There's also mention of a character being from Sumatra. But they're all English. Back then they were spread all over. :)

      Delete
  5. Yvette, this actually sounds entertaining and I'm inclined to add it to my mental list of probable authors to read, especially after reading this and your review of Brand's "Suddenly At His residence" recently. I like locked room mysteries except I haven't read many in spite of the great variety in that sub-genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't go wrong reading these, Prashant. Brand is really wonderful. Not only that but her books are fun too. :)

      Delete
  6. One day I'm going to read this author and figure out why everyone loves her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I didn't steer you wrong on Mary Roberts Rinehart - did I? :) You'll love Brand, I'm sure. SO different from Rinehart, but equally as fascinating.

      Delete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.