Thursday, April 24, 2014

Book Review: WHERE'D YOU GO BERNADETTE by Maria Semple



This was a surprise of a book. Didn't like the title, wasn't crazy about the cover. But I read a review somewhere (can't remember where, but if you know, then remind me and I'll add it to the post - hey, old lady memory - it is what it is) which told of the book's delights and I was intrigued. Luckily my library had a copy because I wouldn't have gone out of my way to search the book out otherwise. That's how much a bad cover affects me.

Doesn't it look like young adult fare? Or maybe a book-club book? That's the kind of vibe (are they still using that word?) I like least in a book. Why? Because in my own no doubt prejudiced view, it portends a certain style of writing intended to appeal to women.

But I was wrong.

This is the sort of thing I can see being turned into a fun, sly, intelligent film by fun, sly, intelligent folk. Not that the book would be all that easy to transcribe into screenplay being, as it is, written in bits and pieces: mostly e-mails, text messages, first person narration, blog post, letters and other assorted communications. Not entirely an epistolary novel, but almost. This gimmick adds a certain haphazardness to the story which I liked.

The first person narration is handled by fifteen year old prodigy, Bee, who knows something isn't quite right but idolizes her mother and when Bernadette goes missing and is given up for lost, Bee decides it's up to her to go find her mom.

But first a word or two about Bee's mother: Bernadette Fox is an almost forgotten icon in the annals of architecture. Once much admired and even worshiped, she is still talked about as a kind of 'guru' in certain architectural circles - the only woman in a field dominated by men. Twenty or so years ago, Bernadette was a rebel at the forefront of 'green' building design - she was green before anyone knew what being green was all about. Her Twenty Mile House project in L.A. retains the status of legend though the house no longer exists and the plans destroyed. But since that turbulent time, Bernadette has been unable to create anything despite being the recipient of a prestigious MacArthur Grant.

The family subsequently moves north to Washington state so that Bee's brilliant father Elgin Branch can begin his dynamic rise at Microsoft. (Reading about some of MS's peculiar quirks and foibles had me shaking my head and, yes, laughing.)

The house the Branch family moves into in Seattle (a town which unsettles Bernadette to the point of psychosis) is nothing more or less that a dismal, rain dampened, swampy ex-school for girl delinquents. A large institutional building on a hill which Bernadette vows to transform into a livable family house just as soon as she gets over her mood swings, resentment, self-pity, agoraphobia and other assorted ills, and springs back to what she once was. But years after the move, the Seattle house is still in total disrepair, weeds and angry plants growing through the floors and walls and water seeping through the ceilings so much so that most of the place is unlivable.

Since Bernadette refuses to join in any of the Galer Street School (Bee's select school situated - democratically - next to a salmon packing plant) parent/student activities and sneers (in hilarious email diatribes) at the whole Seattle lifestyle relished by those Seattle bred and born (and don't get her started on Canada), she is disliked and dissed by the other parents whom Bernadette refers to as 'gnats'. Particularly paranoid is Bernadette's next door neighbor, perhaps not without reason.

In the meantime, driven by personal demons, Bernadette has made some very rash decisions - including outsourcing her day to day chores to an agency in India - which leads to all sorts of misunderstandings involving the FBI, the Russian Mob, blackberry plants run amok, a mudslide which takes out a neighbor's house, a psychiatric intervention gone awry, an ill-fated one night stand, and last but not least, the disappearance of Bernadette off a ship cruising the Antarctic.

Full of surprising plot twists and turns, WHERE'D YOU GO BERNADETTE is mostly a story of mother/daughter love, a troubled marriage, a befuddled but likable father at his wits' end, the resiliency of children, the rise and fall and aftermath of legend, the peculiarities of political correctness, the absurdities of life in the Emerald City and the oddities of day to day at Microsoft headquarters. (I do, however, love the idea of candy machines which produce candy without any coins having to be inserted. Well-played, Microsoft.)

If I were giving stars, which I don't, but if I were, I'd give this book 4 and half.

18 comments:

  1. Hello Yvette:

    This actually sounds to have much in the way of interest and promise and we have much enjoyed reading your review here. As you say, probably a book to borrow from the library rather than own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane and Lance, thanks for dropping by today. I love a book full of surprises - don't you? I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book. The perfect blend of humor and the more sardonic aspects of life were just what I needed. I think I liked this book even more the second time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear from another Bernadette convert. :) I think I loved the book too - more so when thinking back on it. I may decide to read it again myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just as well we've got you to set us straight Yvette because I definitely would have judged this book by its cover - amazing what marketing can do! Sounds like fun - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. Give it a try, it really is, for me, the surprise, so far, of the year.

      Delete
  6. In her rave NY Times review for this book Janet Maslin called it "mixed-media fiction." Do we need yet another subgenre for pop fiction? It's still an epistolary novel if you ask me. I've read a few books like this made up of mostly newsparer artilces, letters and even text messages. Sometimes it's gimmicky, other times it enhances the story. Looks like this one works. I see that Semple used to write scirpts for sit coms and shows that I liked when they were on the air. I maybe tempted to read this. Thanks for the intro to a book that I would otherwise never know about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh plenty of text messages here, John. I call them e-mails, silly me. At any rate, I'm glad Janet Maslin had the good sense to like this book. Though I may not always agree with her, I do with Semple's book. I wish you would read it, John. Love to know what you make of it. For me it was a special treat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yvette, I don't know if I'd be comfortable reading a book in this innovative format (it'd to be written sooner or later) though I have read epistolary fiction and nonfiction in the past. You have rated the book highly and since I value your opinion, I'll keep an open mind on it and probably even read it if I see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get a chance to read it at some point, Prashant. I'd be interested to know your opinion.

      Delete
  9. It's going on the TBR mountaineous list. I'll never read all that I am enticed to read (sigh).

    Saw this on the NYT top selling paperbacks today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty fast read, Kathy. Worth the effort. :)

      Delete
  10. I think I need a book like this, so I'll look around.

    Above Suspicion is ready for me at the library. I'm nervous about it, but I can always fast forward or just shut it off. It's free, no sweat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love this book, Kathy. I wish I had another just like it right this minute. As for ABOVE SUSPICION, just close your eyes. That's what I do over the grisly parts. They're just there to shock.

      Delete
  11. Happy Sunday Yvette, Aw Shucks, Wicked Strong lost, the Victims would have received $70,000. Win one lose one. Maybe we will see a triple crown before I kick the bucket. yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like to watch Secretariat on youtube. It's still one of the most thrilling moments in sports. The Belmont Stakes, I mean. I saw it live once upon a time - on television live, I mean - thrilled then, thrilled now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just started Bernadette tonight. I laughed right away, and have continued laughing. This author has quite a sense of humor.

    This is a book which I'd like to read, and sit here eating tea and cookies, not getting up or answering the door, phone or emails until I'm finished. This could be dangerous caloriewise and slothingwise.

    But it's witty so I'm reading it. (The difference between Americans and Canadians, who believe "everyone is equal" is so funny, among other observations on life in these United States.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy this is a writer I'm going to keep an eye on. Actually, I might be buying a copy of this book for my very own. It's definitely worth a re-read. I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

      Delete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.