Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Tuesday's Forgotten (or Overlooked) Film: THE MYSTERIOUS AFFAIR AT STYLES (1990) starring David Suchet and Hugh Fraser


THE MYSTERIOUS AFFAIR AT STYLES was not only the first book featuring Hercule Poirot, it was the first book written by the young Mrs. Christie who, I understand, wrote it in a response to a challenge from someone in her family. According to Wikipedia, the actual writing was done during WWI, but the publication came later - 1920 or so.

I'd recently bought the audio version (which was a steal on audio.com) narrated by the wonderful Hugh Fraser and after listening to it, decided to re-watch the 'film' (actually 103 minutes made for television - Season 3, Episode 1 of Agatha Christie: Hercule Poirot which originally aired on PBS) once again, having nothing but happy memories of it.

THE MYSTERIOUS AFFAIR AT STYLES (1990) was directed by Ross Devenish and 'dramatized' cleverly (perhaps lovingly) by Clive Exton from the novel. Take note that the storyline follows almost completely the original created by Christie (miracle of miracles), no 'improvements' or additional nonsense added except for some scenes early on of Hastings (Hugh Fraser) recovering from shell shock after enduring trench warfare in France. This is implied in the novel but I think the additional footage in the film works very well in establishing who Hastings is and leads very nicely into the story.

I might almost say that this is a lavish production, but let's tone it down to just plain gorgeous and take it from there. The production team of designer Rob Harris, art director Peter Wenham and cinematographer Vernon Layton does a splendid job show-casing the unspoiled English countryside at its loveliest and greenest. While the guns of war are still firing and men are dying across the channel, England seems a kind of lyrical haven for those on leave, left behind or recuperating.

Not only is Hastings' (I adore Hugh Fraser) melancholy 'stiff upper lip' attitude charming, but so is life in a small English village, full of the sorts of things and the kinds of people we all go to Christie for. Add, this time around, a group of Belgian refugees for some exotic flavor and we're all set. Some of the beautifully bucolic scenes might almost be paintings, set up as they are to illustrate a time long gone.

The contrast with the mostly unlikable (as they are in the novel) cast of characters at the heart of the story couldn't be greater as the gentle Hastings meets up with an old friend, John Cavendish (David Rintoul), and is invited to stop at the family home, Styles Court, for continued rest and relaxation.

The rather stiff-necked Cavendish is in a snit (I don't quite understand why he isn't at the front - even if it is explained in passing, I gather he's doing some sort of home-front work) because his elderly mother has married a man twenty years younger than herself - Alfred Inglethorpe (Michael Cronin) - a man whom the rest of the family considers an unprincipled bounder. Well, he wears a bushy black beard and dresses in totally inappropriate funereally dark clothing - what more is there to say? Obviously the man is beyond the pale.

What's worse: Not only is the foolish Mrs. Inglethorpe (Gillian Barge) besotted by her obsequiously doting hubby, she has changed her will so that Alfred will inherit everything except Styles Court and the house in London. John Cavendish gets those, but none of the money. Uh-oh.

John has never really worked, you see - not actual work. Neither has his younger brother Lawrence (Anthony Calf) who has studied medicine but would rather be a poet or writer or something - though he is currently helping out at the local hospital. Both men would benefit from some hard labor far as I can see, but these are the landed gentry of the time and I suppose that was the way of it - the mother rules the roost and controls the money and the sons go along with it. Naturally that leads to resentment and murder. At least in Agatha Christie's world.

Working at the hospital dispensary is another member of the household, young and lovely Cynthia Murdoch (Allie Byrne) who is a kind of protege of Emily Inglethorpe's, an orphan taken in - that sort of thing. Rounding out the inhabitants of Styles Court are John Cavendish's jealously inclined wife Mary (Beatie Edney) who suspects him of hanky-panky with a saucy local widow, and Evie Howard (Joanna McCallum) a general all purpose factotum (tweeds and stout walking shoes) who is not only a long-time friend of Mrs. Inglethorpe's but has her own various duties around the house all the while making sure everyone knows how much she detests the new hubby.

Hastings is bowled over by the beauty of Styles Court as he is soon partaking of all the family's rituals, afternoon tea, tennis, riding (the few horses not commandeered by the army), etc. But he can't help notice the change in his old friend, the tension hanging over the family; there is evil lurking within the bosom of the Cavendish clan. The only problem for us is that these people are just not very likable - as I've mentioned - so that when the old lady is killed - as we know she will be - there's not much sentiment for the family or, for that matter, for us, to feel. These are not people one can cozy up to.

But never mind, once Hercule Poirot (David Suchet) enters the picture - he unexpectedly meets up with his old friend Hastings (they knew each other in Belgium) at a local village tobacco shop - the entire demeanor, the feel of the movie changes. David Suchet has such warmth and charm and is such a likable presence that nothing much else is needed.

Poirot is a refugee, fleeing from his Belgian homeland and the scene in which he and Hastings reconnect is just delightful - 'Mon ami, mon ami!' It always makes me misty to see the affection these two men have for each other. Of course, one can immediately cozy up to them - and later to Inspector Japp (Philip Jackson) - and leave the rest of the characters to fend for themselves. Poirot makes everything fine and dandy.

Once the indefatigable Belgian is on the job, the murderer of Emily Inglethorpe aka Emily Cavendish is as good as done for. But of course it has to be the correct murderer. I mean, everyone knows the husband did it - right? Needless to say, when the wrong person is arrested and tried, it's up to Poirot to straighten everything out. Which of course he does, rounding up all the suspects in one room where, to the consternation and general amazement of all, he then patiently explains what really happened.

This is one of the best adaptations of Chrisite and if you've somehow managed to miss it, then head on over to Netflix where the entire first (and best) seasons (1989 - 1995) of Poirot are currently available for streaming.

Don't forget to check in at Todd Mason's blog, Sweet Freedom, to see what other Forgotten and/or Overlooked Films (and other A/V material) other bloggers are talking about today. As usual, it's an eclectic list.

28 comments:

  1. Hi, Yvette - guess what I got for Christmas? The COMPLETE set of the David Suchet Poirot DVDs - ALL of them, in a boxed set - about a gazillion hours-worth! :-) :-) :-)

    I'm looking forward to going right back to the beginning and reliving it all again.

    Some of the settings are really beautiful and recognisable even today. We especially like the episode that feature Brighton and the south coast of England In fact, episodes that feature Brighton sea-front and promenade were actually filmed in Eastbourne, a little further east along the coast, becuase Brighton is nowadays quite brash and brassy, whereas Eastbourne stil has its 'olde worlde' charm . The episode titled 'Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan' was filmed right next door to my husband's parent's apartment in Eastbourne - the camera angles had to be careful not to include the modernised side of their building.

    If you ever get to watch 'Foyle' (WW2 police drama) it's set in Hastings, also just along the coast from Eastbourne and they quite often use shots from the promenade at Eastbourne and along the fron outside the in-laws' apartment.

    A recent remake of Brighton Rock was filmed at Eastbourne too - the in-laws had a grandstand view of the proceedings as the whole beach road was commandeered for filming and they were more or less marooned in their apartment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years and years ago, when I lived in NYC, I used to stumble across crews filming. What fun that was. I remember an old film, A HATFUL OF RAIN which was filmed right where I lived. In fact, lots of old movies from the 50's set in the city, often show the apartments where I grew up as a backdrop. Downtown Manhattan and all.

      I love that you recognize all the wonderful places used in Poirot. I'm assuming they use snips of this and snips of that to avoid the modern day accoutrements. Your in-laws are in on all the filming action it seems. :)

      WHAT A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS GIFT!! I have three or four of the dvds, but mostly I just watch on my computer (Netflix). The early episodes are all my favorites. I'm going to check out JEWEL ROBBERY AT THE METROPOLITAN again and pay special attention to the scenery. I'll be overcome with jealousy I know. Ha! You know how much I love the English countryside.

      Yes, I did watch the FOYLES' WAR episodes a while back. I love Michael Kitchen! And I alwys loved the scenery.....sigh!

      Delete
  2. I love the early Poirots & I have the first 4 or 5 series on DVD so I must watch this again. I feel misty eyed & nostalgic just reading about it. The early series based on mainly the short stories were the best. I agree with all you say about Suchet, Fraser & Jackson. Did you know that David Suchet is about to publish a memoir, Poirot & Me, about making the series? I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to read that memoir too, Lyn! Definitely. I was just watching a snippet of video the other day where Suchet talks about Poirot and mentioned some fun behind the scenes incidents. A lovely man.

      Delete
  3. Yvette - another period drama I enjoy (just started 2nd series on UK TV last night) is The Bletchley Circle - don't know if you've come across it? A group of women, formerly essential to the war effort and valued for their efforts working at Bletchley Park in WW2 as part of the code-breaking teams, find that society wants them back in their domestic 'pigeon holes' in peace time. Set in late 1940's/early 50's they become involved in various private investigations and continue to excercise their sleuthing abilities. Wonderful sets, costumes and the whole recreated essence of post-war London. Marvellous! Hope you can see it - maybe via Netflix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, Sue, I saw this listed on Netflix. I'm heading there now to line it up on my streaming list. Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
  4. I completely agree Yvette, I always found this to be among the best of the feature-length episodes of the Poirot series with Fraser and Suchet and really does do the book justice - and it is nice that Hastings gets to have his character deepened a little (can't be easy being one of the densest Watsons in crime fiction after all)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's dense yes, but like Watson, he inspires his genius friend furiously to think. :) And Hugh Fraser is perfect in the role.

      Delete
  5. yvette, I am a mystery lover, have finished Poirot, did all ms marple,
    Foyles war, Detective Lewis ,Bletchley Circle was great. Hope you are warm , we are having some mighty cold weather in Maine. Happy New Year. yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's freezing here too, Yvonne. I can't believe New Jersey could get this cold. GAK!! Rocky and I are staying inside and hibernating. :)

      Delete
  6. It's been a long time since I've seen any of the Suchet/Poirot adaptations, Yvette. I'm always glad when there's at least a serious effort made to stick to Christie's plots and characters, rather than taking off freely in all directions. And the prospect of anyone being able to make Hastings appear as something less than a blithering idiot might just lure me into trying the video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the early ones (PBS Mystery) are so wonderful at sticking to the stories. I do recommend this one especially, Les. Of course you have to expect some tinkering when it comes to transcribing books to film, but the later Poirots and especially, the Miss Marples (after the glorious Joan Hickson), are practically unwatchable far as I'm concerned.

      Delete
    2. Les, I'm having trouble accessing your blog. The link leads me directly to your profile and NOWHERE else. I wanted to comment but can't fight my way through. :(

      Delete
    3. Which link, Yvette? The main page ( www.classicmysteries.net ) seems to be working - is there another one that you're using?

      I'll be on the road for the next couple of days, but will try to get whatever needs to be fixed corrected ASAP.

      Please let me know.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  7. A delightful review, Yvette! One of the cable channels is currently showing POIROT and I think I may have seen this fairly recently. The suspense elements (in the episodes I've seen so far) have been done very well and they're mostly faithful to Christie's novels right down to Poirot's twinkling eyes that David Suchet effects to perfection. I agree about the lavish production of the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're having access to the earlier POIROTS, Prashant. They really were the best. I never get tired of watching them.

      Delete
  8. If you like More and it's spin-off, Lewis, there's going to be a further series of the prequel: Endeavour.

    Set in the 1960's it charts the escapades of the young DC Morse. An interesting aside: they wrote part of an episode of this prequel series showing how Morse received a leg injury as part of an investigation - this reflected the fact that the actor John Thaw, who played the original Morse, had a limp in real life! Clever! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did watch the ENDEAVOR prequel a while back (and loved it) - the first part is on my Netflix streaming list. But the second episode of this series is currently not available here - that I can find, anyway.

      I'm crazy about the actor playing Endeavor Morse. I must remember to play catch-up on Lewis too. Thanks, Sue.

      Delete
  9. Yvette, I was especially glad to see this post because I haven't watched any Poirot adaptations (from TV) and I have not known which ones are better. Lots of good information here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tracy, I'm always glad to share my preferences. :) I love the early Poirots and Miss Marples and am only too eager to spread the word. (See today's post.)

      Delete
    2. Rather, see Friday's post. Sorry.

      Delete
  10. Yvette, I hope 2014 is treating you well, my friend! I read the book (yes, I used to actually read Agatha Christie books before I got crazy nutzoid busy! :-) THE MYSTERIOUS AFFAIR AT STYLES was one of the early Poirot novels I read back in the day. David Suchet and Hugh Fraser are always a delightful team, and the film is performed with great affection, wit, and suspense. I'm going to have to get back in the groove of the wonderful world of Poirot and David Suchet! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good, Dorian. Happy to learn that you DID read some Christie once upon a time. :) You know how much I love her work.

      Delete
  11. I watched this one late last year. I got some of the plot elements of CURTAIN mixed up with this one since they are both set at Styles. We don't get to see CURTAIN on PBS until late summer, I think.

    For Tracy -- I've been watching several of the Poirot episodes and I can highly recommend Taken at the Flood, Halloween Party and After the Funeral as good examples of the movies being faithful to the books. Sometimes there are changes or additions -- as in the action movie ending in ...Roger Ackroyd -- that fairly ruin them for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. I will be looking for those.

      Delete
    2. John, Roger Ackroyd is an almost impossible story to transcribe to film - I'm surprised they tried. It's just awful. And one of the few episodes in which the casting didn't work at all.

      Delete
  12. I hope you will still respect me, but I've never given Poirot a chance, at least the TV productions. Mea culpa! I have Netflix, and will give it a try because you make this one sound so good. I have a particular fondness for the old-fashioned, as you say "rounding up all the suspects in one room" type of mystery. Great review, Yvette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'll respect you, Becky. :) But only if you promise to give Poirot a chance. It's never too late.

      Delete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.