FAVORITE MYSTERY, SUSPENSE and/or DETECTIVE TELEVISION SHOWS OF ALL TIME (Yeah, more lists. Can't help it. I'm just a list-making fool these days.) These are shows that I actually watched. Can't pick shows I've never watched - right?
20 Favorite Mystery, Suspense and/or Detective TV Shows:
1) N.Y.P.D. BLUE (1993 - 2005) Starring Dennis Franz, Gordon Clapp, Bill Brochtrup, Kim Delaney, James McDaniel and Nicholas Turtorro among many others.
2) AGATHA CHRISTIE'S POIROT (Beginning in 1989) David Suchet was born to play this part just as Hugh Fraser and Philip Jackson were born to play Captain Hastings and Superintendent Japp, respectively. (I would only list as favorites the first few seasons.)
3) THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES and THE RETURN OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (Begun in 1984) starring Jeremy Brett as Holmes (a part he too was born to play) and David Burke as Watson, then later and just as good, Edward Hardwick took over the role of Watson. (Only the shows based on actual Conan Doyle books and/or stories need apply.)
4) HOMICIDE - LIFE ON THE STREET (1993 - 1999) Starring Andre Braugher, Richard Beltzer, Yaphet Kotto, Clark Johnson, Kyle Secor, Melissa Leo, Reed Diamond and Daniel Baldwin (only in 33 episodes but memorable), among many, many other terrific actors.
5) AGATHA CHRISTIE'S MISS MARPLE (Only the Joan Hickson shows begun in 1984.)
6) HILL STREET BLUES (1981-1987) Starring Daniel J. Travanti, Taurean Blacque, Bruce Weitz and Joe Spano.
7) INSPECTOR MORSE (1987 - 2000) Starring John Thaw and Kevin Whately.
8) PRIME SUSPECT (Begun in 1991) Starring Helen Mirren, Tom Bell and John Benfield.
9) PERRY MASON (1957 - 1966) Starring Raymond Burr, Barbara Hale, William Hopper, William Talman and Ray Collins.
10) L.A. LAW (1986 - 1994) Starring Corbin Bensen, Jill Eikenberry and Alan Rachins.
11) THE FUGITIVE (1963 - 1967) Starring David Janssen, Barry Morse and William Conrad.
12) BOSTON LEGAL (2004 - 2008) Starring William Shatner and James Spader.
13) THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966 - 67) Starring Robert Lansing and Dana Wynter.
14) THE AVENGERS (1961-1969) Starring Patrick Macnee, Diana Rigg and Honor Blackman.
15) FOYLE'S WAR (Begun in 2002) Starring Michael Kitchen, Honeysuckle Weeks and Anthony Howell.
16) MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (1966 - 1973) Starring Steven Hill, Peter Graves, Barney Morris, Barbara Bain, Martin Landau and Peter Lupus.
17) QUINCY M.E. (1976 - 1983) Starring Jack Klugman.
18) KOJAK (1973 - 1978) Starring Telly Savalas, Dan Fraser and Kevin Dobson.
19) MOONLIGHTING (1985 - 1989) Starring Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd.
20) MYSTERY! (On PBS, beginning in 1980) An anthology of the best British mysteries, suspense and spy thrillers starring everyone who was anyone in Brit TV, theater and/or movies. Still going strong.
So, what do you think? What did I leave out? What would you add or subtract? I know I've probably forgotten one or two of my own personal faves - that's a given.