Monday, March 28, 2011

Crime Fiction Alphabet: Letter L = Lee Child


This is my Letter L entry in the weekly Crime Fiction Alphabet meme hosted by Kerrie Smith at her blog, MYSTERIES IN PARADISE.

Letter L = Lee Child. In my opinion, author Lee Child is the best damn thriller writer in the business (next to Robert Crais). No further equivocation. These two are the top of the heap. Today I'm concentrating on Lee's work and his main character Jack Reacher.

Reacher is a modern knight in not-so-shining armor, the go-to guy when trouble is brewing in a violence prone world. Reacher takes no prisoners. He is always on the side of justice, more often than not, his brand of justice, and more often than not, he gets the job done. He has no doubts. He wades in where others fear to tread. He is the ultimate competent man.

Jack Reacher is ex-Army, former Military Police. He is an intimidating 6'5" tall and afraid of nothing. A kind of modern vagabond, he travels light from place to place, not looking for trouble, but always ready when he finds it. From the first book in the series, KILLING FLOOR, you know what to expect from Lee Child: terrific writing, inventive plots and always, Reacher being Reacher with never a false note. He is what he is and makes no bones about it. He rarely spends time ruminating, doubting or second-guessing himself. He does what he does better than most and knows it. Besides being supremely competent, he is also confident in himself and his talent for righting wrongs.

I love the character. Consequently, I've read every book in the series. If you haven't read Lee Child's stuff, I suggest you do so as soon as possible. You're already playing catch-up.

Author Lee Child is British, but currently lives in NYC. He seems to have had little trouble in making his American hero, Reacher, an icon. I suppose it's his 'outsider's' point of view that gives Lee a clearer picture of Americans and their habits, gives Reacher his ironic stance. Do yourselves a favor and try and attend one of Lee's book signings if you can, you will rarely meet a more erudite, more charming, more knowledgeable man of letters. Please use this link to get a full listing of all the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child. There's also a good website for Lee Child here.

4 comments:

  1. You make these sound really good...and I'm not a big thriller fan. As a side note, when I first saw that your post was about Lee Child, I thought you were going to be writing about the Child who co-authors with Preston. I DID read a really good thriller by Lincoln Child & Preston called Cabinet of Curiosities. Not my usual cup of tea, but I could not put it down.

    Here's my Letter L: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/03/crime-fiction-alphabet-letter-l.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bev: I read CABINET OF CURIOSITIES, liked it a lot! Different Child, yup. Totally different writing style. That reminds me, I've missed a couple in that series.

    Though I'm not, normally, one for violence and such, I still love Lee Child's books. Reacher is something else. You'll see. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read a few Lee Child books Yvette, but must admit to have some unread ones on my TBR too. Thanks for highlighting his work in this week's FCA

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, Kerrie. I'm having fun with this. M coming up...I'm thinking, I'm thinking...

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.