Monday, June 6, 2011

Divertimento: Women in white...

 
 American Impressionist Edmund Tarbell. (1862 - 1938)


 Edmund Tarbell.

Edmund Tarbell.

Painting by Australian artist, Rupert Bunny. (1864- 1947)


 Painting by Rupert Bunny.


 Painting by John Singer Sargent. (1856 - 1925)


John Singer Sargent.


John Singer Sargent.

Childe Hassam (1859 - 1935)


Childe Hassam.


James McNeill Whistler (1834 - 1903)

Because I'm reading the book and I'm caught up in the whole visual aspect of it, paintings featuring the aforementioned women in white. Keeping in mind that white reflects light so the white you see in paintings is white plus whatever light was being reflected in the moment the artist put brush to canvas.

2 comments:

  1. The painting by Ruper Bunny reminds me of the mythical Women in White who haunt those that see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of women in white in myth and legend, I suppose. I am SO loving the book, by the way.

    Rupert Bunny. Odd name. But it's real. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after I take a look.